Critical or Significant Characteristics or Key Indicators Ranking

M

mentor - 2013

Good day to all,
I'm from the Asian country, this forum amaze me since it is quite informative and we can learn a lot in here.
I have here a concern regarding the 'CRITICAL OR SIGNIFICANT CHARACTERISTICS' ranking. Product team provide me the list of SC/CC of 25 items with only 4 items as classified as quality rank of A (according to costumer SCR requirement) and considered it as CC. But the rest of the items did not reflect any of its quality rank namely the AR, BS, B, C. Do i have the right to choose which among's those ranking in order to comply to the TS requirement according to its meaning? Do i consider the 21 items as SC then?

According to the book:
Critical Characteristics - Those characteritics that can affect compliance with the government regulations or safe product or service opeartion. These characteristics must be identified in the drawings and or procedures, as weel as om the FMEA form. Critical charateristics are defined by:
The courts = througth product liability
Regulatory agencies = through formal laws and or regulations
INdustrial standards = through generaly accepted practices in the industry
Customer requisition - through their wants, needs, and expectations
Internal engineering requirements = through historical datea or leading edge technology, or experience with product or service.

Significant characteristics = Qaulity features of a process or product or service on which data should be collected.These characteristics are identified by the consensus of the customer and supplier as well as the FMEA team.

Appreciate your inputs

thank you

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Critical or Significant characteristics or key Indicators

Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave: I am glad you like it..I do too!

We are NOT allowed to select our products' critical characteristics, or otherwise rank from just a list. We have tools to help with the task.

Critical means crucial to proper function or safety. It would be the o-ring sealing surface flatness and finish for a fuel system, and not the bracket that attaches a fuel line to the chassis. Ask "What is the risk to product failure or safety if this characteristic is not correct?" and you can separate your critical characteristics from the rest.

To learn more (and access attached tools) please read this thread:

DFMEA, PFMEA and KCC's

Then you can also look at the suggested threads at the bottom of the page.

Last edited:
M

mentor - 2013

Hello,

Agree with you maam, id like to point out that the given list is the product charateristics from my conterpart in japan product engineer side...My only concern here is how i could relate it to the current customer rank requirement, since this will be included in our FMEA and CP..

Thank you

By the way, can anybody here can provie a procedure on how to identify internally identified SC(manufacturing side),,

S

spitubbe

For my Ford customer, my DFMEA lists a couple of YS's. Do I need to include these on my PFMEA? In this case we are concerned about thickness in a couple areas. I do not have a gage that would measure any type of variable data.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

For my Ford customer, my DFMEA lists a couple of YS's. Do I need to include these on my PFMEA? In this case we are concerned about thickness in a couple areas. I do not have a gage that would measure any type of variable data.

Those can not be ignored and should be included and addressed in your PFMEA, Control Plan and possibly Work Instructions. You may be aware that the purpose of (initial) feasibility review is to address issues such as the gage you've mentioned.

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

What's a YS?

E

Ellwood

What is the normal process for identifying SC&CCs? Does it start with the DFMEA? or before that?

Top Bottom