Shakespeare's Lessons in Leadership: Hamlet

C

ccochran

Hello, everybody:

Here's something a little unusual. It's called Shakespeare's Lessons in Leadership: Hamlet. It illustrates how Hamlet models (or does not model) leadership attributes. I think I wrote it in such a way that even someone unfamiliar with the play would have no trouble following the logic and hopefully enjoying it. I'm almost finished with a piece on Shakespeare's Macbeth, also illustrating leadership traits.

I am very interested in knowing if something like this holds people's interests and is of value, or if I'm just crazy. Please take a look at it and let me know what you think.

Stay warm,
Craig

Attachments

• Leadership and Hamlet - Cochran.doc
    68 KB · Views: 693
Last edited by a moderator:
J

jaimezepeda

Two thumbs up!

ccochran said:
I am very interested in knowing if something like this holds people's interests and is of value, or if I'm just crazy. Please take a look at it and let me know what you think.

Stay warm,
Craig
Craig,

It definitely held my interest and I did find value therein.

Jaime

C

ccochran

Jaime,

Thanks for the nice feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to look at the article.

Were you already pretty familiar with the storyline of Hamlet? It's one of the longest ones from Shakespeare, so a lot of people run out of gas when they begin reading it (...unless a school grade depends on it). I've heard that the Kenneth Branagh film version of Hamlet (1997) is very good, but I haven't seen it yet. The movie runs almost 4 hours, so it's not quick viewing.

Can you think of any other characters of literature that illustrate leadership attributues?

Craig

J

jaimezepeda

ccochran said:
Were you already pretty familiar with the storyline of Hamlet? It's one of the longest ones from Shakespeare, so a lot of people run out of gas when they begin reading it (...unless a school grade depends on it). I've heard that the Kenneth Branagh film version of Hamlet (1997) is very good, but I haven't seen it yet. The movie runs almost 4 hours, so it's not quick viewing.
I was somewhat familiar with the storyline even though I have not read it. I've only watched the film with Mel Gibson. All I recall of that film is the sword fight at the end.
ccochran said:
Can you think of any other characters of literature that illustrate leadership attributues?
I did not realize there would be a quiz at the end of the reading :confused:

C

ccochran

Jaime,

No quiz! Just curious if anything came to mind. The very idea of a literature quiz makes my blood pressure go up...

Craig

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
So, does the author consider Hamlet a worthy example of prime Leadership or a horrible Leader or, perhaps, a young Leader-in-the-Making? I suppose the article was not to convey to the reader what the author's thoughts are...but perhaps to allow the reader to make up his or her own mind.

The real fun could come from anlayzing several of Shakespere's works for parallel philosophies...MacBeth (or perhaps Lady MacBeth), Merchant of Venice, Midsummer Night's Dream...the options are vast.

C

Craig H.

Has anyone ever worked for a King Lear? I can think of one I had many moons ago. Talk about leaving skid marks, did I ever.

J

jaimezepeda

ccochran said:
Jaime,

No quiz! Just curious if anything came to mind. The very idea of a literature quiz makes my blood pressure go up...

Craig
Craig,

Jack Ryan is the only character that I can think of. I recently read Tom Clancy's The Hunt for Red October.

Jaime

Craig, I do like your Hamlet setup, and yes it held my attention. Now, what about other characters? I'll tell you what I would like to see: Stay with Shakespeare... How about A similar piece based on The taming of the shrew?

/Claes

C

ccochran

Roxane,

Those are some great questions. I think I consider Hamlet to be a little like Jimmy Carter: a very smart guy who has deep thoughts and good intentions, but not an effective leader on the level he must perform at. Your mention of Lady Macbeth caused an epiphany: she's a great example of a leader (albeit a tad bit evil). I've already written an article on Mr. Macbeth, but a large part of it is consumed with the exploits of Lady Macbeth. She's a natural! Maybe not someone you would trust your kids with, but an interesting demonstration of a number of strong attributes. Sharpen your knives...

Craig,

I think there's a little King Lear in all upper level managers. It takes a very rationale and humble leader to realize their power lies in their position, not so much in themselves. Of coures, the leader's personal attributes greatly shape the position, but it still comes down to the position and title that carries intrinsic weight. The King Lears fall very hard when they finally fall. And madness is an essential trait of top managers, anyway. :)

Jaime,

I'll check into Jack Ryan. I unfortunately haven't read much Clancy, but I'll get myself a copy.

Claes,

I was hoping someone would encourage my Shakespeare exploration! Thanks for doing that. It effectively knocks out two objectives at the same time: understand more about Shakespeare and understand more about leadership. Now if I could only do both while riding a unicycle and juggling...then I could join the circus. I may try to join a circus anyway. Your idea of The Taming of the Shrew is great. I'll need to dig it back out and refresh my understanding of it.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Craig

Top Bottom