Inspection status, checksheet and evidence.

B

Bahgia Minhat

Hi to all,

Wished expertise would give opinions regarding these matters.

First, the introduction;

The company I’m working with is an extrusion based manufacturing and it is ISO and QS certified. It is categorized under small and medium industry (worker <50 people). One of the products is a wire harness tube for insulation and we supply it to automotive customer (we produce that tube as internal product, not OEM). I am the Quality Controller Head (but not an executive position) and I have 2 inspectors under my supervision.

Second, the characteristic / properties of the tube.

I summarize the appropriate inspection requirement versus characteristic. There are 4 main characteristic – dimension, appearance, physical, and functional which can be devided to several sub- characteristic.

Characteristic Spec Method of evaluation / equipment Sample / frequency Aceptance criteria /
1 Dimension – ID x.xx +a / -b Gage Go/No Go 3 sample / hour Tube shall not be tight at minimum and shall not loose at maximum
2 Dimension – thickness x.xx +a / -b Caliper 2 decimal point 3 sample / hour Shall not be out of spec
3 Dimension - Length x.xx +a / -b Measuring tape First buy-off Shall not be out of spec
4 Appearance – colour, opaque Opaque, as per sample provided Visual Once every visit / hour Shall not severely differ from sample, shall be opaque and no severe transparency
5 Physical – no irregular or uneven thickness measurement Visual / caliper (*) Once per visit / hour Shall not severely….. bla bla bla
6 Physical – no inconsistent ID, no bloat No inconsistent, bloat Visual and physically sense by hand Once per visit /hour Same as above
7 Physical – no punctured No puncture Visual and physically sense by hand Once per visit /hour Same as above
8 Physical – Hardness Sample Physical sense – hand Once per visit/hour Same as above
9 Functional – durability, performance As per JIS standard Lab test Once / year Same…

I intend to minimize the paper usage, cut inspection time and yet the inspection report should be enough to avoid defect passed to customer, can show frequency of occurrence for analysis of pattern (the data) and satisfy the ISO&QS requirements, customer and third party auditor.

Third, the inspection and test status: record of inspection – the check sheet, the method and the data recorded.

Method of inspection

Example: the thickness
The tube is perpendicularly cut and the thickness is measured. Logically, you can divide the thickness of tube to several sections - 4, 8, 16 or any number. Remember we cannot determine which segment to start first unless there is some visual point (like printing of line or whatever). To show evidence of inspection that the thickness is even, the column for thickness in check sheet should at least have 4 columns (4 segments). If I simplify it the acceptance by writing ‘OK’ (which will also stated in control plan, procedures, or what so ever) – do you think this will satisfy ISO/QS/standard requirements, customer and auditor?

Can I just simplify the check (of all those sub-characteristic) to basic characteristic (Dimension, Physical and Appearance) and stating ‘OK’ (also stated in CP and others…)? (satisfy the ISO/QS, bla…. Bla… bla).

My current inprocess checksheet only have column for ID, thickness, Weight. But still we check the other characteristic (Other characteristic is not mentioned in our control plan or what so ever). We checked it to avoid possible defect be detected or by our customer. To add this (in control plan, procedure…) will need a lot of work and if it becomes formal, it will tie a contract with the customer (which will not be too flexible work). What do you guys think?

Attribute data

Attribute data is usually G and NG. In QS requirement have stated the attribute data (like visual) should be zero defect. However some defect can be categorized to several severity or obviousness. Let say the severity of visual inspection is divided to 1- low severity (accept with adjustment), 2 – medium severity (segregate and notify customer) and 3 – high severity (reject). If we label a sample is 1 (low severity), still it is a defect. How to comply the clause or requirement?

Quite an essay, huh…… but hopefully one can help.

Thank you.

Oh by the way, does anyone here (Quality related) work with extrusion based company?

I attach a file so you all can see the table..

Attachments

• elsmar cove - inspection and test status.doc
    42.5 KB · Views: 885

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
My thoughts

Bahgia Minhat said:

for thickness in check sheet should at least have 4 columns (4 segments). If I simplify it the acceptance by writing ‘OK’ (which will also stated in control plan, procedures, or what so ever) – do you think this will satisfy ISO/QS/standard requirements, customer and auditor?
Can I just simplify the check (of all those sub-characteristic) to basic characteristic (Dimension, Physical and Appearance) and stating ‘OK’
QUOTE]

My gut feel is no. I think QS says somewhere that if the customer requirement is variable data, you can not just say OK. You must provide the actual dimension. And you may be expected to be doing SPC on it. However, I can't find the actual reference so I stand to be corrected.

Attribute data is usually G and NG. In QS requirement have stated the attribute data (like visual) should be zero defect. However some defect can be categorized to several severity or obviousness. Let say the severity of visual inspection is divided to 1- low severity (accept with adjustment), 2 – medium severity (segregate and notify customer) and 3 – high severity (reject). If we label a sample is 1 (low severity), still it is a defect. How to comply the clause or requirement?QUOTE]

I think 4.10.1.1 says zero defects for attribute sampling plans, which is different from inspection.

I think you would be OK if you set your own acceptable defect level. For example Level 3 Max. Then a 0,1,2,3 is OK. Level 4,5 and up is NOK.

Hope this helps

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
If you are seeking TS16949, see Ford's Customer Specific Requirments

Paragraph 4.4 Control of Records, page 8

"simple pass/fail records of inspection are not acceptable for variable measurements"

Top Bottom