Calibration of Barcode Scanner

M

msajid

Hi,
We are flexible Packaging material Manufractures some time we need to check barcode (we print on P.E etc) are readable or not.
Last week in audit auditor have observation regarding calibration of barcode scanner.
Any person guide me regarding its calibration.
Thanks in advance

M.Sajid Naeem

M

Mike Boothe

Contact the barcode printer OEM and see if it requires any calibration.

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Hi,
We are flexible Packaging material Manufractures some time we need to check barcode (we print on P.E etc) are readable or not.
Last week in audit auditor have observation regarding calibration of barcode scanner.
Any person guide me regarding its calibration.
Thanks in advance

M.Sajid Naeem

No need for calibration. A barcode scanner operates digitally based on Binary signals (0, 1). What you might wish to do is validate the software if it developed in house or just mention the fact that it is commercially available (if bought in).

I take it you have never had a problem with misidentification of materials that are scanned?

J

Jason PCSwitches

No need for calibration. A barcode scanner operates digitally based on Binary signals (0, 1). What you might wish to do is validate the software if it developed in house or just mention the fact that it is commercially available (if bought in).

I take it you have never had a problem with misidentification of materials that are scanned?
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Good Advice.

We must keep in mind that there is a difference between Calibration & Validation. As Boris points out you should show evidence of Validation if Calibration is unfeasible.[/FONT]

somashekar

Leader
Admin

You print barcodes. These barcodes are decoded output by a software into thick and thin dark bars or the barcodes. The inputs that gets decoded are some alphanumaric characters. The scanner scans and encodes the barcode and inputs to the software which displays the first input alphanumeric characters. Most of the barcode generating software inputs the human readable alphanumeric characters at the bottom of the barcode.
What you are doing is encoding the various printed barcodes at random using the scanner to see how good, fast and correctly they are being reproduced in your printing process.
There is no measurement here and hence no calibration. It is a simple barcode verification check that you are doing. I guess this must be an internal audit situation.

J

JaxQC

I’d like to expand on what Jason has stated. Yes, show validation not calibration. Methods that are available to you are following a set standard. While there are others out there, start at ANSI/HIBC 2.3-2009 THE HEALTH INDUSTRY BAR CODE (HIBC) SUPPLIER LABELING STANDARD. You’ll get an idea of what to control and look at for your system.

Next verification of what you have. Look into ISO/IEC 15426-1 Bar code verifier conformance specification. What it does is use a specific software reader and “grades” your barcode just like in school (A,B,C..F). Read it and it’ll go into detail and to what makes up the grades.

Make sure the system that you are getting/have will meet the requirement you want to hit. The verification systems are $2-3 grand if you need to do it in-house but you can get a sample checked for about $50 from a certified place. It takes the ambiguity out of the evaluation and puts it into specific areas of control (contrast, legibility, voids etc).

Hope this helps.

J

Jason PCSwitches

You print barcodes. These barcodes are decoded output by a software into thick and thin dark bars or the barcodes. The inputs that gets decoded are some alphanumaric characters. The scanner scans and encodes the barcode and inputs to the software which displays the first input alphanumeric characters. Most of the barcode generating software inputs the human readable alphanumeric characters at the bottom of the barcode.
What you are doing is encoding the various printed barcodes at random using the scanner to see how good, fast and correctly they are being reproduced in your printing process.
There is no measurement here and hence no calibration. It is a simple barcode verification check that you are doing. I guess this must be an internal audit situation.

Exactly the point...verification/validation, not calibration. What would you be calibrating it to?

G

George Weiss

In the question of calibrating a barcode scanner we have moved from calibration, to verification, to validation. It might be time to direct a question to the auditor like, "would a validation scheme resolve the issue/ding?"
If yes, then a turn-key validation/verification service by a vendor would be an effective choice. This would not be a calibration, but better described as a validation/verification of critical functional atributes. In some verification/validation cases a company specific critical parameter(s) validation might be enough, with a specific custom procedure, but in such a generic item as this bar code scanner, with a standard use requirement, the re-invention of the wheel seems useless, inefficient, and not economcal.
I personally think paying to have a bar code scanner periodically checked, is like an annual verification of a glass ruler, but I am a silly guy.
:whip:

D

DPeter67

I worked for an automotive company where we barcoded every product. We also baked the product after barcoding to stabilize the product. We purchased a barcode grader that read the barcodes and graded them. You could grade barcodes and verify them with your scanners. Write your procedures such that if the scanner failes to scan a certain grade barcode, that it must be repaired and brought and re-verified prior to re-entering service.

Top Bottom