Outsourced CMM Measurement Inspection Service and ISO 17025

J

jleond

Hello,

Do you know if a metrology lab has to be 17025 certified to offer third party CMM measurement services?

Thank you!

J

jleond

Labs are "Accredited"; you can ask for their cert of accreditation.
Sorry, I meant accredited. So, if I hire a lab that is not accredited but its CMM is calibrated (i. e. a lab from a factory) to measure parts, can it be a non conformance in a TS16949 audit?

TIA

Big Jim

Admin
Sorry, I meant accredited. So, if I hire a lab that is not accredited but its CMM is calibrated (i. e. a lab from a factory) to measure parts, can it be a non conformance in a TS16949 audit?

TIA

It is my understanding that TS 16949 requires your calibration service to be ISO 17025 accredited.

To me, that would mean that the company you outsource your CMM activity to would need to have the CMM calibrated by an ISO 17025 company. I don't see how the company you are outsourcing to would need to be.

There are others that know more about TS 16949 and maybe one of them will chime in.

sonflowerinwales

In the country
It depends what you are using the CMM for.
If used for measuring some manufactured parts to confirm dimensions, then in my humble opinion, 17025 is not needed.
But, if the CMM is checking some equipment for checking your product, i.e. calibrating your stuff, then 17025 will apply.
I await others thoughts........
Regards
Paul

J

jleond

It depends what you are using the CMM for.
If used for measuring some manufactured parts to confirm dimensions, then in my humble opinion, 17025 is not needed.
But, if the CMM is checking some equipment for checking your product, i.e. calibrating your stuff, then 17025 will apply.
I await others thoughts........
Regards
Paul

Just for measuring parts, no calibration at all.

AndyN

Moved On
Hello,

Do you know if a metrology lab has to be 17025 certified to offer third party CMM measurement services?

Thank you!

Nope. However, YOU might want to understand, when they report on any dimensional inspections they perform, how do they know their measurement variation (uncertainty). An accredited lab will know this, quantifiably, and be able to report it, so you can trust the reported results. It's going to depend upon the feature, tolerances etc. of course.

AndyN

Moved On
It is my understanding that TS 16949 requires your calibration service to be ISO 17025 accredited.

To me, that would mean that the company you outsource your CMM activity to would need to have the CMM calibrated by an ISO 17025 company. I don't see how the company you are outsourcing to would need to be.

There are others that know more about TS 16949 and maybe one of them will chime in.

My copy of TS 16949 states for "inspection test OR calibration"... After all, calibration is only a "super" form of testing or inspection, so it makes sense to include all types under the external lab requirements...If you want trustworthy results.

AndyN

Moved On

TIA

Yes, if you look into your copy of ISO/TS 16949, doesn't it tell you - under 7.6 External Labs? You DO have a copy of ISO/TS 16949 to refer to...?

Top Bottom