Goals and Objectives - I am having trouble defining new goals and objectives

Y

Yogurt

I am having trouble pin pointing new goals and objectives. Currently we are tracking on time,safety/accident ratio, and cost of quality. Need ideas please :thanks:
yogurt

J

jmp4429

Without information about your process, and why you are looking for more goals and objectives, it’s going to be hard to help you. But here are some off the top of my head:

PPM (Defective parts per million)
Customer Complaints (external)
Customer Complaints (internal – i.e. repair calls to I.T. helpdesk)
Attendance
Turnover
OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness)
Downtime
Rejects
Scrap
Expedited Freight (to make deliveries on time)
# Of Improvement Suggestions (or # of people who make a suggestion)
Inventory reduction
Spare parts/tool crib Out of Stocks

There are lots of goals and objective you could use. Not all of them have to apply to the entire plant – each department may have its own set of goals as appropriate. For example, H.R. might have a goal to reduce turnover, Maintenance might have a goal to reduce machine downtime, etc….

Hope that helps you some.

J

jewels

Performance Goals and Objectives

We identified 6 company areas that are most important and then assigned goals to each area. This compromises the information that we look at during our semi-annual management review. Each objective needs to be looked at quantitatively. Here are some examples:

Customer Satisfaction:
no backorders of greater than 1 week
customer complaints will be reduced by 5% annually
product order and shipping errors will be reduced by 5% annually
Product Development:
Budget for Product Development will be ---% of annual sales
Manufacturing and Inventory Control:
Rejected Materials will be reduced by 10% annually
Sales and Marketing
Product sales and net income will increase ---% annually

These goals were things that we wanted each area to achieve. We can then measure if they were achieved. If not, what do we need to do to realize the goals? More staff, extra training, less spending, more spending, process improvement, etc.

G

Gerry Quinn

Yogurt,

This task can be relatively easy if you follow the process laid out in ISO 9000:2000 2.3.

When you create your quality policy use the 8 Management Principles found in paragraph 0.2 (same standard).

If you start by identifying the Interested Parties (your customers of your organization not just your customers of your product) and determining their wants, needs and desires; you will be able to create a sound and meaningfull quality policy that is in alignment with those wants etc.

By creating a policy based on the 8 Management Priciples you will then have a solid foundation for the creation of Top Management Level objectives that are aligned with the policy which is aligned with the interested parties needs etc.

Now it is an easy process to have lower levels in the organization create objectives that align with the management objectives.

Remember that an objective MUST be measurable. So it should be something like this: "To reduce the cycle time in the xyz process from 8 hours to 6 hours by June 1. "

As an auditor I can easily determine if you achived this goal. On June 1 I'd ask to see your charts, graphs etc that define your cycle time.

This process is a lot easier than trying to guess at objectives in the middle of the process. And these objective will have some real meaning because they are in place to satisfy the needs and wants etc of the parties that count.

D

DavidYu

Yogurt said:
I am having trouble pin pointing new goals and objectives. Currently we are tracking on time,safety/accident ratio, and cost of quality. Need ideas please :thanks:
yogurt
to Yogurt,
I suggested you can check your Quality Policy first. Quality goals should be deployed from QP. Of course, you can add more to the goals rather than just from QP. From goals, each dept is supposed to come out their KPI's according to their job functions.

B

bkelchner1957

Wouldn't an answer like this be considered flippant? I have to answer our ISO auditor for a deficiency for our Quality objectives not being effective.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Wouldn't an answer like this be considered flippant? I have to answer our ISO auditor for a deficiency for our Quality objectives not being effective.

bkelchner,

I'm not sure how the objectives themselves can be considered "ineffective".

Each of your processes in your process-based management system should have an objective (see 4.1c and 8.2.3).

Collectively these objectives deliver three or four system objectives or organization's objectives.

Or take a fresh look at clause 8.4 and you will see the data streams that already exist in your management system. These data streams could be used to measure the corresponding objectives for:

• Customer satisfaction
  • Product conformity
  • Process performance, and
  • Supplier performance
You could add a fifth once you've figured out how to measure employee engagement.

Aligning all your objectives with the quality policy just about makes them bombproof.

John

P

pldey42

yogurt

Is that on-time delivery, in full?

Seems like a good set of measures, except you appear to be missing customer satisfaction (which might be measured by monitoring the complaint rate).

As someone else said, why do you need new goals and objectives? How are you doing with your existing measures? Have you been able to benchmark against the competition? What do your customers think of your performance as measured now? In these questions alone might lie some answers - not new goals and objectives, just ratcheting up the targets for existing performance measures.

If it were me, I'd have a chat with top management, maybe sales, maybe customer service and get their ideas.

I'd also caution against having too many. Here in the UK there are self-serving consultants who have encouraged the government to impose politically-motivated targets on government institutions like the National Health Service and the Police, without giving them the resources they need to fulfil them. So the Chief of Police for my area was on the radio some while ago complaining that he really could not meet all the targets, not without a load more policemen and civilians than he could afford on his meagre budget. He said his job had been reduced to merely deciding which targets to miss each month.

I think targets have to be relevant to the business, and clearly so to all concerned - hence the suggestion to involve senior management and those in touch with the customers in defining them.

Just 2c
Pat

Top Bottom