How to set up HSE Unit? What is the difference btw HSE Plan and HSE Manual?

P

Pweencess

Hi Everyone!

Needs help on this:

Since I am not expert in HSE, I would like to ask your opinion on this; I would like to propose to our management to have a separate unit to look after the company HSE issues as currently we do not have a separate unit that look after our HSE. Our HSE issues is look after by our HSE Committees that also have other job responsibilities or commitments so not able to look after our HSE issues fully.

How should I come up with a proposal of setting up the HSE unit?
Also, can someone please explain what is the difference between HSE Plan and HSE Manual?

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Hi Everyone!

Needs help on this:

Since I am not expert in HSE, I would like to ask your opinion on this; I would like to propose to our management to have a separate unit to look after the company HSE issues as currently we do not have a separate unit that look after our HSE. Our HSE issues is look after by our HSE Committees that also have other job responsibilities or commitments so not able to look after our HSE issues fully.

How should I come up with a proposal of setting up the HSE unit?
Also, can someone please explain what is the difference between HSE Plan and HSE Manual?
Hearty welcome to the cove Pweencess ~~~

First I believe that HSE activity has to be an integral part of the job responsibilities or commitments, along with the other core responsibilities. It should not be made to be adopted by a separate unit.
Off course, based on the size, complexity and statutory requirements, there could be a HSE manager.
I would like to propose to our management to have a separate unit to look after the company HSE issues as currently we do not have a separate unit that look after our HSE.
So I disagree with this proposal.

The HSE plan is all about the 5W+1H of the HSE activity, while the HSE manual is the first level document of the HSE plan.

Last edited:
S

samsung

An HSE Plan can also be referred to as an HSE management programme aimed to achieve any specific HSE objective and target/goal and should essentially define the objective (what you wish to achieve), programme (what you plan to do), Action Plan (how it will be accomplished), responsibilities of persons at different levels and the time frame within which the goal is to be achieved.

An HSE manual is simply a description of your Environment and OHS management system that contains the project related information, HSE management
structure and issues (Env. aspects impacts & OHS hazards and risks), policy, arrangements, operational control measures & safe work procedures. HSE manual provides guidelines for effective management of overall HSE system.

IMO, HSE must function as a separate and independent unit in view of its very nature and potential impacts on a wider network of stakeholders. Unless HSE is given an independent status, it's difficult for any organization to demonstrate that its doing any justice to environment, employees and society as a whole. The head of the HSE function must directly report to the head of the organization who is accountable for all the company affairs including health and safety of people and the surroundings.

P

Pweencess

Dear Somashekar,

I agree with your opinion that HSE activity has to be an integral part of the job responsibilities or commitments, along with the other core responsibilities. I think our staff should adopt this as their culture so that they will not put aside Safety as their responsibilities or commitments.

Thanks & Brgds,
Pweencess

P

Pweencess

Hi Samsung,

Thanks for the helpful explanation. I am currently updating our HSE Manual in accordance with the OHSAS 18001:2007 standard. However, we have a problem in executing the HSE activity as we have limited resource and our staff has not fully adopted Safety as their culture. I am just hired as HSE Officer here so there is a lot of changes that needs to be done in the company.

Thanks & Brgds,
Pweencess

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kgott

A HSE plan is usually written for a particular project or location etc. A manual should be a description of how safety is managed in the same way a quality manual describes how quality is managed in the business.

A HSE plan and a HSE manual can often be the same thing and the terms are sometimes used in interchangeably, particularly by people who don’t know the difference.

Your HSE plan will identify hazards in a list (or register) and the controls you are going to use to manage them.

You are going to train people to identify, assess, record and manage hazards in accordance with their ability to allocate organisational assets. Managers do more than workers

Apply this to all hazard groups e.g. hazardous substances, plant and machinery, etc etc

B

Bilijaf

The Maestro in the HSE system is a person called Top Management Appointee or Management Representative. He should be authorized, and could also be supported by a team of department's representatives.
Regarding the difference between HSE Manual and HSE Plan, the title doesn't matter if the elements of the both systems are clearly identified (policy, Aspect- impact, Risk Assessement, Safe Work procedures etc...)

P

Pweencess

Dear Kgott,

Thanks for the opinion. I really appreciate it. I have teached the staffs to do their own risk assessement. In fact, I have included risk assessement on our job activities as an appendices inside the HSE Manual. Perhaps if you have other opinions, please do give comments.

Thanks & Brgds,
Pweencess

P

Pweencess

Dear Bilijaf,

Currently our HSE Committee is represented from different division and units. In fact, our GM is the HSE Chairman, CSO Manager as the Deputy Chairman and QA Manager as the Management Representatives. Thanks for the opinion and please do let know if you have other comments / ideas.

Thanks & Brgds,
Pweencess

Top Bottom