Meeting the 3rd Party Lead Auditor Prior to the 1st Audit

Jeff Putman

Starting to get Involved
Our company wishes to meet the lead auditor for our ISO/TS 16949 certification audit prior to beginning the audit process. We are not seeking consultation or training, only to get a feel for the auditor's personality and qualifications. Having experienced several auditors too many which lack in these areas, we do not feel this is an unreasonable request nor a conflict of interest.

My question is: Are their any rules of the IATF or ISO that would forbid this?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Não

Jeff Putman said:
My question is: Are their any rules of the IATF or ISO that would forbid this?
No. And because to post a reply, we need at least 8 characters, I had to write this additional sentence.

$ vs. Headaches

Be aware that this may cost you some cash. While your prospective registrar will probably be happy to send someone from Sales your way, the real auditors are highly trained and are capable of billing over a US$1,000 per day for their employer (while auditing). Also, if your auditor is not close, you may have travel expenses.

After narrowing down my registrar choices to 3, and informing each where they stood, I spent some time on the telephone with prospective lead auditors from each company. I believe that I saved myself a lot of headaches. Our auditor and I hit it off on the first phone call: We communicated well, I agreed with his positions on a couple of sample "grey areas" and he was versed in my industry. I needed an "electronics guy" because I'd already been abused by "mechanical guys" who couldn't seem to rearrange their thinking from micrometers to multimeters.

Having said all that, you will be stuck with your auditor, for bettor or worse, for 3 years. Maybe an extra grand or so isn't such a high price to make sure you get the right one.

Top Bottom