Graduation date on my resume - Dumb Resume Question

Q

QE

Can some one advise what should be the graduation date on my resume. should it be the date I completed my defence or should it be the date on my certificate ?

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Re: Dumb Resume Question

Can some one advise what should be the graduation date on my resume. should it be the date I completed my defence or should it be the date on my certificate ?
Not dumb at all sir.
I would prefer the certificate date, for this date has all the traceability from the certificate.

S

samsung

In principle, I do agree with Somashekar but often the certificates are issued long after one has completed the course/ degree. I have seen it taking years so one doesn't know what date of completion would it carry if one is forwarding his/her resume based on the results/ marks obtained.

Q

QE

Thanks to Somashekar, but Samsung you are just stating my confusion. So again what should be the date on you resume. The day you defended and completed the coursework or the day you got the certificate ?

S

samsung

Thanks to Somashekar, but Samsung you are just stating my confusion. So again what should be the date on you resume. The day you defended and completed the coursework or the day you got the certificate ?

I can understand the confusion. But this is the sad state of affairs. I received my provisional degree certificate one year after I completed the course and the regular degree after two and a half years. I have come to know that the trend still continues even in this digital era.

However one doesn't wish to remain unemployed waiting for the issuance of the certificate by the university. It's better to put the date when you were declared qualified and if still one hasn't received the certificate, this information can be given in the end note. However, the date of certificate, in general corresponds to the date of completion however long it may take the institute to issue the cert.

somashekar

Leader
Admin

I can understand the confusion. But this is the sad state of affairs. I received my provisional degree certificate one year after I completed the course and the regular degree after two and a half years. I have come to know that the trend still continues even in this digital era.

However one doesn't wish to remain unemployed waiting for the issuance of the certificate by the university. It's better to put the date when you were declared qualified and if still one hasn't received the certificate, this information can be given in the end note. However, the date of certificate, in general corresponds to the date of completion however long it may take the institute to issue the cert.
Completion is a different thing while qualifying is the pass. Over here, the colleges issue a provisional pass certificate based on results declared, and this could support your qualification till such time the university releases the certificate.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
The year of graduation should be all that's necessary. No one cares whether it was May 3 or September 9.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
The year of graduation should be all that's necessary. No one cares whether it was May 3 or September 9.
When years add to experience, no one cares. But for a beginner I guess it does matter.
Like a controlled document the resume can also be updates as years add to experience and date revised to year... :)

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
When years add to experience, no one cares. But for a beginner I guess it does matter.
In what way? If you have two job candidates and two résumés, and one says that the candidate graduated in 2007 and the other says the candidate graduated on September 5, 2007, what difference would it make in your hiring decision?

somashekar

Leader
Admin
In what way? If you have two job candidates and two résumés, and one says that the candidate graduated in 2007 and the other says the candidate graduated on September 5, 2007, what difference would it make in your hiring decision?
None today ... and that is what I meant in saying 'When years add to experience, no one cares'
But if it was August 15th 2007, then its a case of only 1 candidate. The other waiting for his certificate and cannot claim as graduated in 2007 with evidence.
I have seen this happen due to delay in certificate release from universities during our hiring process and had to reject good candidates due to lack of authentic certificates, following our hiring process and document scrutiny.

Top Bottom