What we have seen and/or done.....Ships and the Sea

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Tonight I was looking through one of my cruise books.....that is like a year book, but for the Navy when a ship and sailors go to sea to begin workups and cruise.......

I reviewed my 1984 and 1985-6 books from USS Saratoga (CV-60).....for those who may not know Her.....She had a 12 month cruise during Vietnam.....and more recently.....She was the ship whose pilots took the Achille Lauro hijackers.....do you remember the Achille Lauro? Italian terrorists took the ship in 1985, and threw Mr. Klinghoffer (a U.S. citizen) overboard, killing him.....remember?

I have been on or beside the three oldest sailing gunned warships in the world.....

USS Constitution the oldest warship AFLOAT.....important as She is in the water.....I have been aboard Her.....

HMS Victory the oldest warship in continuous commission.....commissioned in 1757, saw service on the American coast during the Revolution, Admiral Lord Sir Horatio Nelson's flagship at the battle of Trafalger in 1805, still flagship of the Admiral of the Home Fleet (for U.S. folks, think Navy Reserve), and the ONLY Royal Navy ship with a National Shrine on board.....I have been on Her three times.....

I have been beside Vasa.....the oldest sailing gunned warship in existence.....lost with all hands within sight of shore and the source of (arguably) the most significant cover-up in naval history!

What do they have in common with Saratoga.....and all sailors? And why are ships called SHE?

Those who read Alexander Kent know he can explain it as well as it can be explained.....otherwise.....we are intrinisically tied to our ships.....consciously or unconsciously.....tradionally men go to sea and so the truth of the sea as a harsh Mistress.....and so also ships as She.....we cannot go to sea without ships.....they complete us and we them, so in the traditional sense a ship is therefore a She.....

Now, since Congress changed the rules, women can be assigned to USN combatant vessels.....good or bad? Opinions solicited please.....

Hershal

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
One other note.....

The news goes weepy about a cruise.....but a Navy wife KNOWS.....

East Coast boats require a year or more for workups and cruise, a West Coast boat requires up to about 15 months.....

We can stand in safety with our arms around our loved ones and say we will always be there.....our sailors do not have that luxury.....whether U.S., U.K., Swedish, Russian, Japanese, or any other.....

I am a proud Bluenose, though not a Shellback.....

Hershal

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I did two middle east and east asian tours. One in 1990, the other in 1992-93. I was on surface ship repair ship--USS Cape Cod, both times. I served on the USS Dixon, sub tender, in 1988-89. Of course then women weren't allowed on the combatants. Even when just switching piers, I had to disembark the subs.

I was a sheet metal mechanic on shore and on the Dixon. Then I learned the Quality trade in the Navy, first on subs and afterward in NDT for surface ships. I did a short stint as Quality Supervisor on shore for the surface ship repair facility in San Diego.

Too bad it's so hard to get that kind of work here.

While there are of course inherent concerns with women onboard deploying vessels, (especially in combat ships or in certain rates not before allowed to enter) behavior varies among people so behaviors should be dealt with and lose the "pink sub" silliness.

I knew plenty of women who could handle it just fine, and others who frankly should not have been to sea at all because they were not mature enough to behave themselves.

Randy

Super Moderator
I did tours with the Marine Detachments on the Midway and on the Coral Sea.

While with the FMF I did the "Gator Fleet" thing on a variety of ships like the Tarawa, Iwo Jima and Peleliu and a couple of old flat bottom LST's.

While "Recon" I got a couple of rides on some "Silent Service" boats...but that's all I can say about that.

I've been on, over and under....and oh yeah, I'm a Shellback too!

G

Greg B

I was on the last Australian, Light Aircraft Carrier - HMAS Melbourne - she was only 20,000 tonnes and was laid down during WWII. She went from service in '81 or 82'. Australia had two light carriers; the other was HMAS Sydney (the 2nd ship of this name). Both names are now assigned to FFG's.

We almost bought the 'HMS Invincible’ in the early 80's but the Brits had that little spat about some islands in the South Atlantic and then thought better about canning some of their defence assets, including the harriers. The US offered Australia the 'Coral Sea’ in the late 70's but alas it would have taken a third of our Navy to man (woman) it and all of fighters and ASW aircraft from both the NAVY and the Air force. You have to remember we are a BIG country but only a small population (just passed 20 million)

I loved my time at sea although the hours and work were tough the sea was a tranquil place, at times like in a force 7.

All Australian ships may now carry women and have done for some time. The Army is in recent weeks talked of integrating women into combat units - but the kicker is that they can't fight - so what are they doing there? They are either in a combat unit for combat or not.

The Russians refer to their ships in the male gender.

J

Jim Howe

U.S. Navy

I served aboard the USS Independence, (1960-1963). When I was aboard as an IC man it was known as CVA-62 (carrier vehicle attack) later it was changed to the more subdued CV (carrier vehicle). We came out of Norfolk, Virginia for three Med cruises. I was there for the "Bay of Pigs" and for the "Cuban Missile Crises".
As an Interior Communication Electrician (IC2) my battle station was on the bridge. I recall during the "bay of pigs" we were refueling at night when the collision alarm sounded, by the time I reached the flight deck I could see the USS Diamondback off the port side and on fire. It seems we were also taking on munitions as well.
As I looked up I seen the most wondrous sight I have ever seen "The Milky Way". It was about 1:30 AM and I was so riveted with awe I was late reaching my battle station which was another 7 levels up the island.
Our IC gang from that era just recently celebrated a reunion in Charleston, SC.
God bless all service men who go in harms way!

W

wolfnature

I think I've covered it all. I'm a 'Bluenose', 'Shellback', 'Golden Dragon', and a 'Ditch Digger'. :rolleyes:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Fortunately or unfortunately, I ended up in the yards on two submarines. I probably have the record for the LEAST amount of time at sea - in 12 years in the Navy I spent less than 365 days on board a submarine without its lines tied to the pier or in drydock. Though I can say that I did have a Med deployment in 1986 during all the fun with Khadafi.

I guess I sealed my fate when coming out of nuclear prototype training they asked us where we wanted to go. And they made a pitch for they really really really needed people willing to go to an overhaul. Well my girlfriend (now wife) lived in NH, and Portsmouth NH had a shipyard. I stated "if you really must send me to an overhaul, send me to Portsmouth". Bingo - there was where my orders were to - the USS JACK SSN 605 (two screws are better than one) in 1983.

J

JerryStem

Guess I'll throw my $.02 in:

6 years total in the Navy, 4 on the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71), nuke machinist mate. I am not a military person, so when my EAOS came up I was a happy person.

Two Med' cruises (89 & 91) included Desert Shield/Storm and Operation Provide Comfort (got back 7/91). We did the Artic thing too, still have my Blue Nose certificate & card. And since I got there early in it's life, I got to go on Shock Trials shortly afterwards. They blow up very large bombs next to it and see what breaks.....

We were out of Norfolk VA but I think it might be a west coast thing now? (We also had no women at that time...)

Jerry

Top Bottom