AS9100 Clause 7.4.3 Verification of Purchased Product - OEM C of C required?

JSRDE

Starting to get Involved
OK, customer, regulatory, and statutory requirements aside... am I required by AS9100C to obtain the Original Equipment Manufacturer's (OEM's) certificate of conformance when purchasing Mil Spec hardware from a distributor?

We currently accept purchased product based on the distributor's certificate of conformance along with dimensional and visual inspection of the product to the applicable specification. We do not currently require the distributor to send a copy of the manufacturer's C of C, only that they certify the parts meet the spec.

My company has some MS hardware that has been in stock for upwards of 10 years and we are getting some resistance from our customer about using it. They are verbally implying that we should have the manufacturer's cert. Not because it is a requirement they impose on us, but because it is a requirement of AS9100.

Can anyone prove to me that AS9100 requires me to obtain the manufacturer's certificate of conformance when purchasing Mil Spec hardware from a distributor?

-Looking forward to a quick response, we will be having a conference call with our customer tomorrow morning.

Thanks!!!

D

dkusleika

In my opinion, no one can prove that because AS9100 doesn't require it. It does require that you verify your purchased product and it suggests that CoC is one way to do that. Also, CoCs are a very common way to verify purchased product. If you do enough other stuff to verify purchased product, you don't need a CoC.

Having said that, I would be concerned if my vendor would not certify that his product conforms to the specification. If it's one vendor and one part and the situation warranted it, I wouldn't have a huge problem developing a verification plan that didn't include getting a CoC.

A

azamiruddin

I agree.

AS9100C says inside NOTE 2 within clause 7.4.3 - we must obtain objective evidence of the conformity of the product from supplier. CoC is one of the way, but it is not a mandatory.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
OK, customer, regulatory, and statutory requirements aside... am I required by AS9100C to obtain the Original Equipment Manufacturer's (OEM's) certificate of conformance when purchasing Mil Spec hardware from a distributor?

We currently accept purchased product based on the distributor's certificate of conformance along with dimensional and visual inspection of the product to the applicable specification. We do not currently require the distributor to send a copy of the manufacturer's C of C, only that they certify the parts meet the spec.

My company has some MS hardware that has been in stock for upwards of 10 years and we are getting some resistance from our customer about using it. They are verbally implying that we should have the manufacturer's cert. Not because it is a requirement they impose on us, but because it is a requirement of AS9100.

Can anyone prove to me that AS9100 requires me to obtain the manufacturer's certificate of conformance when purchasing Mil Spec hardware from a distributor?

-Looking forward to a quick response, we will be having a conference call with our customer tomorrow morning.

Thanks!!!

Mil Spec hardware from a distributor falls under the STANDARD CATALOG HARDWARE A part or material that conforms to an established industry or national authority published specification, having all characteristics identified by text description, National/Military Standard Drawing, or catalog item.

Reference - AS9102.

However - you need to go back to the contract and Purchase order and find out what is it that the customer has imposed on you.

whatnxt

Registered
However - you need to go back to the contract and Purchase order and find out what is it that the customer has imposed on you.

How does 7.4.2 g) "flow down to the supply chain the applicable requirements including customer requirements," apply here or does it?

If your customer requires a C of C from you, do you inturn require it from your supplier and they inturn should require it from their supplier and so on?

Having product that is 10 years old comply with today's regs is difficult.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
How does 7.4.2 g) "flow down to the supply chain the applicable requirements including customer requirements," apply here or does it?

If your customer requires a C of C from you, do you inturn require it from your supplier and they inturn should require it from their supplier and so on?

Having product that is 10 years old comply with today's regs is difficult.

Yes,

In cases where you have product without traceability - meet the customer requirements. For dimensional do a FAIR - per AS9102, and for compliance to material - send a sample to an independent lab for verification and certification of requirements to specs. After you are certain of the product - issue a C of C.

If the original suppliers are around ask them for the information.

Top Bottom