Writing the symbol for X bar in Excel?

D

DiGiMac

What technique do *you* use for putting single or double bars over letters in Excel ? Do you:
- use MS Equation Editor
- insert little lines over each and every occurence

From the sample sheets I've seen most people, like me, draw the lines. But positioning is fiddly and as soon as you change formatting things go wierd.
I've found Equation Editor is workable in Word but just clumsy in Excel.

Does anyone know of a ttf font that includes these characters ? That would make everything easier.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Writing X bar in Excel ?

I don't.

I think it's too much effort for too little gain.

I type out "x-bar". It's only 5 key strokes versus screwing around with formatting for an hour.

F

Frank T.

I use Equation Editor in excel and have never had a problem, as for a font that includes these characters don't know of any.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
What technique do *you* use for putting single or double bars over letters in Excel ? Do you:
- use MS Equation Editor
- insert little lines over each and every occurence

From the sample sheets I've seen most people, like me, draw the lines. But positioning is fiddly and as soon as you change formatting things go wierd.
I've found Equation Editor is workable in Word but just clumsy in Excel.

Does anyone know of a ttf font that includes these characters ? That would make everything easier.

There are Windows fonts available for what you're looking for, such as this one. Not an endorsement, just a suggestion.

rmf180

Involved In Discussions
If you own a TI graphing calculator, the TI Connect program which is used to add or remove items from you calculator, loads fonts (TIxx) to your system. These fonts all contain the x-bar symbol. Those fonts are free if you have the TI Connect program.

CalRich

Involved In Discussions

I use Equation Editor in excel and have never had a problem, as for a font that includes these characters don't know of any.

I do the same.

I once had the same dilemma to create these kind of characters in Word. For doing this in Word, however, there is a nifty way using equation fields. It essentially merges two characters together. It gets tricky when you try to do something like R bar bar (average of the average ranges).

http://www.apastyle.info/how-tos/x-bar-word-3.html

M

Mustang

If you have the font "MS Reference San Serif", go to "Insert" then "Symbol". It is in the Private Use Characters toward the bottom, code F7C2.

I think most versions of Excel have this font?

T

trumoshr

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]from [/FONT]contextures dot com forwardslash xlfaqFun.html#CondFormat

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How can I add a bar above a character, e.g. x-bar ? [/FONT]

1. Before you type the character for which you want the overbar, change the font to Symbol.
    2. To create the bar, type the ` character (accent grave, may be above the Tab key)
    3. Then, stay in Symbol font, or switch to a different font, and type the character that has the overbar. Note: This technique looks better on-screen in some font sizes than in others, but all should look okay when printed.
I have tried it and it does indeed work with characters other than X.
(sorry for the weird link, I don't have enough posts to post a link. I don't even know what the rest of that site is, just found it while trying to figure this out)

Top Bottom