Games people play...needed for basic ISO training

W

WisdomseekerSC

I am moving into the training stage of ISO 13485 implementation. I have a mixed group to train (clerks on thru management). I plan to do an overview only type training for all staff initially (Basic Introductory Class). I want to make this an interactive and fun session starting with a role play type game. Nobody can play a role they would in the real workplace (the aim is to appreciate someone else's job).

BASIC Student Goals of the game:
1) Become aware of the concepts of inputs, means, process and outputs.
2) Acknowledge who is "your customer".
3) Simulate how the quality management system fits into the overall production and service realization process.
4) Introduction to resource management and process improvement.
5) Convey company quality goals and objectives.

After the ice breaker learning game, I will present ISO 13485 standard in a brief overview format with emphasis on records (tailored). Lastly, since we are preparing for a first time registration, talk about the audit process.

Does anyone know of a game that might meet these goals? (I already read-thru old threads but didn't find what I was looking for or the Links were Dead). I am determined to make this fun! :cfingers:

P.S. I have a game I made-up but am hoping for one that has already been "test driven". Oh by the way, did I mention I need it ASAP. I would appreciate any ideas, games or otherwise.

C

Craig H.

One of the things I used to use to start my intro to 9001 class is to take 2 identical bags of cookies (Famous Amos Chocolate chip) and keep one safely in a place so I won't get it confused with the second. This one I carefully "prepare" by crushing the cookies before class without breaking the seal on the bag. I start the class by saying I am going to start the class, but I want to pass around a bag of cookies before we start. I hand the "prepared" bag to one of the class members and ask them to open them, then act like I am starting the class. When the bag is opened, I ask how the cookies are. When the class member says that they are broken, I point out that that is the feeling our customers get when they find our products don't meet expectations. At the end of the class I will tie this in by saying that if we do everything right, our customers will appreciate it, and pass out the unbroken cookies.

Don't know if this will work in your situation, but if it will, please feel free to use it, and let me know how it goes. I told another member about it here at the Cove a few years ago (I think they were in Indonesia) and they had even better success with it than I did.

AndyN

Moved On
I've often wondered (worried) about why we 'train' people on standards. Do they have to be 'competent' in ISO whatever? Could that be why there's not much info here - people don't do it? Certainly the Management Representative should be, but who else?

Now, I'm not saying that people should have a good grasp of the purpose, implementation and results/benefits of a standards based management system, but 'training'.....??? I'd certainly be interested to know what competencies are to be accomplished as a result of this training. That might help people to give you ideas of 'games' trainers can employ to develop skills.......

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I've often wondered (worried) about why we 'train' people on standards. Do they have to be 'competent' in ISO whatever? Could that be why there's not much info here - people don't do it? Certainly the Management Representative should be, but who else?

Now, I'm not saying that people should have a good grasp of the purpose, implementation and results/benefits of a standards based management system, but 'training'.....??? I'd certainly be interested to know what competencies are to be accomplished as a result of this training. That might help people to give you ideas of 'games' trainers can employ to develop skills.......

I think there's something to be said for inclusion, but I agree--I don't think training should be necessary. Also, as far as games go, it's not an easy thing to pull off without condescension. Some portion of a mixed audience is going to feel as though they're being treated like kindergartners.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I think there's something to be said for inclusion, but I agree--I don't think training should be necessary. Also, as far as games go, it's not an easy thing to pull off without condescension. Some portion of a mixed audience is going to feel as though they're being treated like kindergartners.

My experience with icebreakers and similar activities has been very positive. It depends on how well they are presented and the possible meaningful debriefing afterwards. Some of these activities tend to appeal to the "kid" in us, and that's fine.

Stijloor.

Randy

Super Moderator
BASIC Student Goals of the game:
1) Become aware of the concepts of inputs, means, process and outputs.
2) Acknowledge who is "your customer".
3) Simulate how the quality management system fits into the overall production and service realization process.
4) Introduction to resource management and process improvement.
5) Convey company quality goals and objectives.

I work on your production line and make the minimum wage you pay....Why is any of this relevant to me?

Why should I care about resource management?
Why should I care who tne customer is?
Why should I care about any of this other stuff, especially when I don't have anything to do with it?

What do I really need to know and why aren't you telling me that?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
My experience with icebreakers and similar activities has been very positive. It depends on how well they are presented and the possible meaningful debriefing afterwards. Some of these activities tend to appeal to the "kid" in us, and that's fine.

Stijloor.

It requires skill, and not everyone has it.

E

Eloy Gomez

I work on your production line and make the minimum wage you pay....Why is any of this relevant to me?

Why should I care about resource management?
Why should I care who tne customer is?
Why should I care about any of this other stuff, especially when I don't have anything to do with it?

What do I really need to know and why aren't you telling me that?

I come accross the same concept at work. What methods did you use to promote quality awareness throughtout the production personnel?

Randy

Super Moderator
I come accross the same concept at work. What methods did you use to promote quality awareness throughtout the production personnel?

I don't myself...You need to check my Profile.

IMVHO....99.9999% of the "Quality" stuff organizations spend their time teaching their employees is wasted effort and a waste of resources in general. What people get trained on should be relevant to what their roles and responsibilities are in the QMS...

If they don't do management review they really don't even need to know zippo about it.

If they are not responsible for document revisions, approval and all that stuff they have no need to know how to do it.

If they don't do design and development why waste time telling them about what 7.3.1-7.3.7 requires?

So on and so forth....If I am employed to be a press operator in production I couldn't give a crap less about what the requirements of something are (like purchasing or whatever else) if I am not involved in it. All I need to know is how to do my job properly, get the stuff I need to do so and what to do if something ain't right. All the rest is somebody elses problem.

What the average employee really needs to know about a QMS can be covered in 15 minutes....anything else is horsebagels:horse:

Top Bottom