Thread Gage Calibration / Verification Instruction needed

T

T. Crenshaw

Hello folks,
I am looking for a simple instruction on how a thread gage should be calibrated and or verified on a biannual basis. Example being a thread gage manufactured by Grenfield a M8 x 1. 25-6H – Go PD 7.188 NoGo PD 7. 348. Hope someone can help!
Thanks,
TC

:)

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Thread Gage Calibration/Verification "NEEDED"

Hello folks,
I am looking for a simple instruction on how a thread should be calibrated and or verified on a by annual basis. One example being a thread gage manufactured by Grenfield a M8 x 1. 25-6H – Go PD 7.188 NoGo PD 7. 348.
Hope someone can help!
Thanks,
TC

:)

Send it out to a qualified, duly accredited calibration house. I don't mean this as any kind of affront or insult, but if you have to ask the question it means that you're probably not qualified to do the calibration. Some things are best left to the experts.

T

T. Crenshaw

thank you for your quick response.

Good answer... less work for me. :agree1:

thank you Jim

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

I am looking for a simple instruction on how a thread gage should be calibrated and or verified on a biannual basis.
If anyone has an example thread gage calibration procedure, it will be appreciated.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource

Didn't find any examples of "Procedures" but found this website which is also a database and has procedures:

http://www.jblsys.com/GAGEtrak/CalPro/CALPRO.HTM

No pricing I could find in regards to software.

Maybe cover BradM, might have some type of procedure since that was his business before.

BradM

Leader
Admin

Hey Coury!

Thread gauges are a bit out of my expertise. Wes Richardson is fairly familar with them I think.

Not sure if the OP has access to GIDEP. I am sure they would have some procedures.

I believe thread gauges have previous threads that may be of assistance.

Confused about Calibration Tolerances of Plug Gauge, Ring Gauge & Snap Gauge

Suggestions for thread rings and plugs - Old and not used for years

There are other threads here and on the ASQ site.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help

Hey Coury!

Thread gauges are a bit out of my expertise. Wes Richardson is fairly familar with them I think.

Not sure if the OP has access to GIDEP. I am sure they would have some procedures......

I guess since you owned and operated a Calibration house (I believe) in your years before your current status, you may have been able to help with this one. But since thread gages are a special niche maybe someone else might be able to help.

Thanks for the connecting threads. I checked out GIDEP and didn't really find something, but maybe I didn't look in the right place.

Hopefully Wesley will visit soon.

D

Dale D. Barnes

I have all of mine done by someone who comes into my lab. Just easier to allow them to use their equipment and saves me alot of time. They only charge $15US a member and I normally have them do it the same time I get my pin gages done. I could do them myself but it normally takes 2 guys 2 days to do all of the work and that doesn't include filling out the certs. This way I get the certs in, file them and update Gagetrak. I have some information on the calibration of thread gages and will try to hunt that up and post it.

Good luck
Dale

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor

Jim is correct.....

Given the specialized knowledge, the expensive specialized equipment necessary to cal threads correctly, and the controlled envionment that is needed, the best answer is to seek out a laboratory accredited by an ILAC signatory and hav the Metrology professionals do the cal.....

Saves not just time but also money.

Hershal

Top Bottom