The difference between a Document and a Record?

D

David J Quality

Am I correct in assuming that anything like a procedure, work instruction and the like are to be considered documents whereas a form/log would be considered a record?

Thanks!!!!!!

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Document or Record ?

A form is a document, until you "record" information on it....then it becomes a record of what happened.

I look at them this way, documents tell me what to do, how to do, when to do. Records show what I did, how I did it, when I did it. The piece of paper (database entry, whatever) is basically a template type document showing you exactly where to input the information to make the best sense.

Don't get too tied up in the whole what kind of document is it, you can easily overthink the whole process.

D

David J Quality

That makes good sense.

Thank you!

:thanx:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Am I correct in assuming that anything like a procedure, work instruction and the like are to be considered documents whereas a form/log would be considered a record?

Thanks!!!!!!

David,

An easy way to remember the difference goes like this:
  • A Document says: DO!
  • A Record says: DONE!
Almost too simple perhaps, but it works.;)

Stijloor.

T

To Create

I have to agree with Steelmaiden and Stijloor about their references to remenbering the differences between a document and a record. Personally I have always used:
Document: Present or future act or course of action
Record: History of something being done

But since I like the simplicity of Do and Done, I will be teaching that in the future with my people. :thanx:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom