The Basis of %GRR (% Gage R&R) and other Statistics - Minitab

O

outdrsman

Hello,
I am new to the statistical side of quality and have done my first GRR and plugged the data into Minitab 15 GRR study (crossed) and am not sure what I'm looking at with all of the numbers. :confused: It's great that it calculates everything for me but now what? I attached my results but don't know what numbers are important and what is information that I can just disregard. I soon want to do machine capability studies but feel that GRR should be done first. I have the MSA 3rd Edition but other than information how to set it up I haven't been able to make much use of it.
Please enlighten me. Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• GRR1.doc
    163 KB · Views: 648
G

gleclair

By reading the P value on the report (0.000), that tells me 100 % confidence in the results of GR&R of 51.98 % of errors are comming from the gauge. (either in the gauge or operator) Only 48.02% comes from part to part variation. What you would have liked to see was less than 5% GR&R and 95% or greater on part variation.

A

achorste

I would've interpreted it differently myself (please correct me if I'm wrong):

I look for the "Total Gauge R&R" as a % of the tolerance - in this case 45.23%. Which would indicate a failed Gauge R&R (<10% fine, <30% acceptable with improvement / justification).

From the % Gauge R&R for repeatability and reproducability (33.74 & 30.12) it would indicate that there is variation between the operator techniques and the measurement method as well - normally I would expect to see either one or the other but not in this case.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Interpretation of the Graphs:

Step 1: Measurement Stability
A stable measurement system shows no out of control points or "non-random" patterns or trends in the range chart
Step 2: Resolution/Discrimination
Adequate resolution or discrimination means that the measurement units (inches, tenths of inches, thousandths of inches,…) are sufficiently small enough to be able to "see" variation.

- Stratification on a range chart is a good indication that there is a problem with inadequate resolution.
- The number of stratified levels on the Range Chart is an indicator of the degree of the problem.
- Fewer "levels" means less adequate resolution:
- A rule of thumb: There should be approximately 5 levels of resolution between the control limits on the Range Chart and less than 25% of the ranges equal to zero to be considered adequate.
Step 3: Bias
Bias in a measurement study is a "shift" in the pattern on the X-bar chart between operators (i.e., the same part pattern is evident, but one operator reads consistently higher or lower than the others).
Step 4: Measurement Capability
Measurement capability is the comparison of Measurement Variation to Product Variation to determine whether the current measurement process can see part to part differences. More than 50% of the part measurements should be out-of-control to be considered marginally acceptable.
Step 5: Operator Bias
Operator Bias is the comparison of Between-Operator variation to Within-Operator variation. The difference from operator to operator should be less than the variation within operator
Step 6: Operator Inconsistency
Operator Inconsistency is the comparison of Within-Operator variation for a specific operator to the overall Within-Operator variation.
Interpretation of the Session Window:

What will the gage be used for?

If for Inspection, look at the %Tol results.
If for Process Improvement, look at the % Study Var results.
If for SPC, look at ndc in addition to the % Study Var results.

The Total Gage R&R results are ideally less than 10%, but may be accepted up to 30% depending on the criticality of the characteristic.

ndc should be 5 or greater.

There is additional information that may be gleaned from the results, but these are the important results.

A

Arrow

By reading the P value on the report (0.000), that tells me 100 % confidence in the results of GR&R of 51.98 % of errors are comming from the gauge. (either in the gauge or operator) Only 48.02% comes from part to part variation. What you would have liked to see was less than 5% GR&R and 95% or greater on part variation.

Hi,

Could somebody enlighten me about part variation, there are many thread here that differentiate tolerance variation and parts variation but i guess I cant find explanation on 95% or greater on part variation.

Thanks.

Arrow
-newbie on quality

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Hi,

Could somebody enlighten me about part variation, there are many thread here that differentiate tolerance variation and parts variation but i guess I cant find explanation on 95% or greater on part variation.

Thanks.

Arrow
-newbie on quality
This refers to the results of the %SV (% Study Variation). > 95% of the study variation should be assignable to the Part, and < 5% assignable to the gage. This is not normally discussed because when the gage variation is < 5%SV the part variation is automatically > 95%. gleclair was probably elobarating in order to clarify the concept.

A

aproddutoor

Hi,

These are the results from the Session Ouput window.

%Study var of 8.96 and %Tolerance of 16.89. The parts were collected so that it represents the entire process spread. The study was done on 3 operators and 2 trails. The same gage's are used for both Inspection (in-process and final inspection) and Process Control. Which measure should I consider here?

I'm all confused with Process Control and Inspection. The MSA Manual uses Product control and Process control. Is Product Control same as Inspection here?

This is from the MSA Manual 3rd Edition,

"For Product Control situations where the assessment of the measurement result and decision criteria determine conformance or nonconformance to feature specification (i.e 100% inspection or sampling), samples (or standards) must be selected, but need not cover the entire process range. The assessment of the measurement system is based on the feature tolerance (i.e %GRR to TOLERANCE)."

Is this similar to %Tolerance in Minitab?

"For Process Control situations where the measurement result and decision criteria determine, process stability, direction and compliance with the natural process variation (i.e SPC, process monitoring, capability, and process improvement), the availability of the samples over the entire range becomes very important. An independent estimate of process variaiton (process capability study) is recommended when assessing the adequacy of the measurement system for process control (i.e %GRR to process variaiton)."

Is %GRR to process variation same as %Study var in Minitab?

It would be great if someone could answer my questions.

Please see the attachment for the results of GRR.

Attachments

• GRR.doc
    101.5 KB · Views: 269
A

aproddutoor

These are the specification limits

USL: 21.375mm
LSL: 20.675mm
Nominal: 21mm

Tolerance: .75mm

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Hi,

These are the results from the Session Ouput window.

%Study var of 8.96 and %Tolerance of 16.89. The parts were collected so that it represents the entire process spread. The study was done on 3 operators and 2 trails. The same gage's are used for both Inspection (in-process and final inspection) and Process Control. Which measure should I consider here?
You should consider both % Tolerance and % Study Variation. They assess the suitability of the gage for two different purposes. Since you use the gage for both final inspection AND process control, they must pass both.

I'm all confused with Process Control and Inspection. The MSA Manual uses Product control and Process control. Is Product Control same as Inspection here?

This is from the MSA Manual 3rd Edition,

"For Product Control situations where the assessment of the measurement result and decision criteria determine conformance or nonconformance to feature specification (i.e 100% inspection or sampling), samples (or standards) must be selected, but need not cover the entire process range. The assessment of the measurement system is based on the feature tolerance (i.e %GRR to TOLERANCE)."

Is this similar to %Tolerance in Minitab?

Yes

"For Process Control situations where the measurement result and decision criteria determine, process stability, direction and compliance with the natural process variation (i.e SPC, process monitoring, capability, and process improvement), the availability of the samples over the entire range becomes very important. An independent estimate of process variaiton (process capability study) is recommended when assessing the adequacy of the measurement system for process control (i.e %GRR to process variaiton)."

Is %GRR to process variation same as %Study var in Minitab?
Yes

Top Bottom