Quality Manual - Possibility of maintaining only SOFT COPIES

S

shinyell

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if there is a possibility to maintain only SOFT COPY of the companies Quality Manual to reduce paperness.

I was asked by boss to revised our Quality Manual (erase the statement maintaining 1 hard copy of all our policies and procedures.) We have this website, where all the staff have an access. From there, they can access the latest Procedures / Formsheets and Quality Manual.

Please help! Is it okay not to maintain a hardcopy of the Quality Manual? Is it necessary to have a hard copy of that Quality Manual.

Thanks fr your advice.
YELL

harry

Trusted Information Resource
It's 'yes' to all your queries.

From what I read here, many in the US are already using soft-copies/intranet. That may be true of Europe but in Asia, hard-copies are more common. There are reasons but what is more important is to do what suits your organization and situation most.

You may want to read the related thread in the 'similar discussions' box below the page.

Added in subsequent edit: This is the link that I wanted to post.

Last edited:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi Guys,

I am wondering if there is a possibility to maintain only SOFT COPY of the companies Quality Manual to reduce paperness.

I was asked by boss to revised our Quality Manual (erase the statement maintaining 1 hard copy of all our policies and procedures.) We have this website, where all the staff have an access. From there, they can access the latest Procedures / Formsheets and Quality Manual.

Please help! Is it okay not to maintain a hardcopy of the Quality Manual? Is it necessary to have a hard copy of that Quality Manual.

Thanks fr your advice.
YELL

Harry is correct. :agree1:

The note under 4.2.1 in ISO 9001:2008 states:

NOTE 3 The documentation can be in any form or type of medium.

Stijloor.

Reactions: db
C

ChrissieO

We got rid of hard copy QMS and Manual about 7 years ago for QMS/SMS/EMS and have had no problems at all from our external auditors.

Chrissie x

S

somerqc

I have had this work many times in the past; however, at my current employers I have some people that are in LOVE with binders. It is worthy of a Dilbert cartoon how in love these people are with their binders. In fact, they will print anything that is soft copy just so they can create yet another binder that they almost never look at!

Given the option - I would go soft - however, it is whatever works in your environment that will work the best.

D

db

I have one client who's entire QMS is an intranet site. There is no seperate Quality Manual, it is all integrated into the intranet. And I have to say..... it looks far better than most internet sites I've seen. Attractive, and the navigation is really easy.

R

rlsavard

I have one client who's entire QMS is an intranet site. There is no seperate Quality Manual, it is all integrated into the intranet. And I have to say..... it looks far better than most internet sites I've seen. Attractive, and the navigation is really easy.

Any chance he would be interested in creating some snapshots of the site for us to see? I know it's a long shot, but worth the effort of asking the question.

Top Bottom