Large Construction Project Quality Plan - ISO 9001-2008 using ISO 10006

mgcm1

Starting to get Involved
Hi all
I'm trying to find examples of a quality assurance plan for a large construction project, using Iso 9001 2008 & Iso 10006. Ive scoured the forum trying to find a highly impressive ones that are simple to understand as multiple contractors will be asked to comply with requirements.Normally I find that is an excuse to add $ to the price tag . Any advice or examples would be much appreciated.

Gary

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi all
I'm trying to find examples of a quality assurance plan for a large construction project, using Iso 9001 2008 & Iso 10006. Ive scoured the forum trying to find a highly impressive ones that are simple to understand as multiple contractors will be asked to comply with requirements.Normally I find that is an excuse to add $ to the price tag . Any advice or examples would be much appreciated.

Gary

mgcm,

Very large construction projects may be too large to run on a single quality plan. Instead, they develop, use and improve their own project quality management system to deliver QA to the interested parties.

ASQ's Design and Construction Division has interpreted ISO 9001 for design and construction project teams and this ebook is available for download from Quality Press.

I hope this is of help,

John

Last edited:

mgcm1

Starting to get Involved
John

Thanks for that, Its very helpful. I'll get it next week.
Agree about the scope being too complex but I think if I can get to a reasonable framework that will guide the rest of the qms.

I have to integrate to ohsas & ems and as usual no one is quite clear about exactly what they want there and add in the language/cultural barriers and all the subcontractors hence the need for conciseness and flexibility.
So the more examples I can find the better.

Cheers

Gary

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
John

Thanks for that, Its very helpful. I'll get it next week.
Agree about the scope being too complex but I think if I can get to a reasonable framework that will guide the rest of the qms.

I have to integrate to ohsas & ems and as usual no one is quite clear about exactly what they want there and add in the language/cultural barriers and all the subcontractors hence the need for conciseness and flexibility.
So the more examples I can find the better.

Cheers

Gary

Gary,

I sympathize. At least the updated management system standards for QESH will share the same standard language from 2015 or so.

Hopefully you have already ensured contractors (for design and construction services and suppliers of key equipment) are being selected for their ability to manage QESH and their contracts specify the required submittals including their quality plans, environmental impact assessments and job hazard assessments.

I would design the architecture of the project management system first and its document coding scheme. Analyze the project's end to end core process to determine the sequence and interaction of its key processes. Agree with the Project Director who should own the key processes then work with them as they join the project to flowchart their processes to determine who does what to fulfill process objectives.

Leave the "how to" work instructions until the process owner says they are needed then engage the people who are expected to make them work in writing and agreeing them.

Certain key forms for handling design changes, controlling nonconforming product, conducting job safety assessments, reporting near misses, requiring action to stop recurrence of nonconformity etc, etc can be broadly designed now perhaps by adopting the best from the contractor submittals.

To what extent can you share the management system electronically for informing the project team and for gathering data for the project database?

John

mgcm1

Starting to get Involved
Thanks once again, that's pretty much what I was thinking of though not so eloquently.
So far I've distilled the standard into 23 separate parts and integrated an ems , Ohsas into it along with the PD mandates and 18 further distinctions with the client, so its fairly incoherent.
The idea is taking each section in detail and making it accessible electronically - communication to all actors would be via cellphone/ipad -the fact all of the QMS is available to all wherever and whenever they are, should mitigate NCR/CA. Hence my search on plans that look impressive, but have a clear simple language for the audience.

I'm considering a dashboard approach to the processes eg "Think it, say it, prove it, do it, improve it" and then drill down into the parts of the standard that support those process elements. The problem being ive only been tasked with a plan - but that is not what the client needs. And the customer is always right..

mgcm1

Starting to get Involved
Great John, i didn't know about Wikis for that purpose. The framework is useful and im investigating its application. We have similar intranet style options so there maybe some crossover.
Its the language i'm struggling with. It needs to be precise, simplistic yet generic - we have several different cultural/vocation backgrounds all using different words for the same function. Then theres the KPI's, thats another story altogether - "we can't do that" - usual stuff. How to keep the process owners onside without tearing strips off them ! I'm not very good at that....

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Gary,

As you read the wiki Thread, I have no doubt you will see and can receive answers to your concerns and questions.

Another useful start point may be Jiř? Jan?k's thesis who discusses wiki-based Issue Tracking Systems.

John

mgcm1

Starting to get Involved
Thank you once again, jiri's thesis is a tough read but i like the sound of the codebeamer. and lots of ideas in wiki.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Hi all

Gary

You are likely correct that requirning contractors to comply with requirements may add cost. However, it is not an excuse, it is prudence.

Using ISO9001 for the outline of your plan is good, but the first thing you need to do beyond that is acquire all applicable codes that the jurisdiction requires. Also talk to the Code Enforcement Official(s) and find out what they need that may not be in the code formally.

For example, soil and concrete testing may be required to use an accredited test lab. Welding and high-strength bolting will almost certainly require higher levels of inspection, where a Level III NDT may be sufficient, or accredited special inspection bodies may be required such as they are in NYC. Understand the requirements for each type of construction involved.

Once you have that information - and not before - you start to select the contractors and communicate the requirements.

Now, as to cost, the requirements will drive that. It cannot be helped. The issue is not excuse, it is public safety. Failure to take care of steps such as I have outlined means you will not understand the requirements, cannot communicate them to the contractors, and therefore run the risk of using contractors that cannot meet the requirements, or components (e.g., concrete, steel) that do not meet requirements.

If that occurs, you may be fortunate and only have to fire the contractor, pull that part of the construction out, and redo it at whatever cost. If it goes through and something is bad, people die.

That is unpleasant, but the simple truth.

Top Bottom