Preventive Tool Maintenance - Preventive and Predictive Maintenance requirements

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi everyone,

during our recent surveillance audit I received a minor non-conformance against Preventive and Predictive Maintenance requirement.

The write up is at follows:

The organization does not always ensure evidence of all Preventive and Predictive Maintenance requirements. Evidence of Predictive Maintenance where not able to be verified at time of Audit. (Tool Repair tracking sheet not up to date).

Few years back I started to keep track of our steel rule Die's that we maintenance ourselves, i.e Punches changed, rule changed, etc. But then with the slow down and down sizing in our Company, and people wearing more hats, I neglected to enter information into the log, therefor the write-up.

Now I want to make the log more simple, instead of this massive spreadsheet with this abundance of information as too Punch change, rule change, soldering etc, and just focus on how many parts are being produced of the Die before it is brought to the Tool room for repairs.

Our Tool guy says in general you can run approx.4500 parts of a die, before it needs any maintenance. Okay sounds good, but I don't want to answer the NC by giving a specific number and say that the tool needs to go to the tool room and be fixed. Because if the tool runs good, and parts are good, beyond the 4500 part mark, I am not going to a) have the Operator stop and tear her setup down, and b) my experience with a set number, if we are not right on the money and my CB comes in and audits and let's say we ran 4510 parts of the Die, it will result in a NC.

Then I have to take in consideration that every Operator runs different and also the Press(es) the Die's can be ran at.
I also don't want to hand our Operators another piece of paper for them to record the info. Papers can be lost easily, something could be forgotten to be recorded etc.

So my solution to this is, that I can record the Die #, date and amount of parts ran at First Piece Inspection ( I have all the above Info on the Shop order ) and just enter it on a Spreadsheet there.
When the Die does have to go to the Tool room, currently the Press Operators affix a Die repair tag to it, circle what needs to be done, what Press it came from and date. I can match the info to that and then add the parts total and eventually get some more current results to when to do Preventive maintenance.

My question is, does this sound simple enough, or am I'm making more work for myself? I mean with the log I had started, it just got bigger and bigger, but I couldn't really get no good results, and I don't want that to happen again. Any advise would be appreciated. :thanx:

P.S Sorry this is so long.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi everyone,

during our recent surveillance audit I received a minor non-conformance against Preventive and Predictive Maintenance requirement.

The write up is at follows:

The organization does not always ensure evidence of all Preventive and Predictive Maintenance requirements. Evidence of Predictive Maintenance where not able to be verified at time of Audit. (Tool Repair tracking sheet not up to date).

Few years back I started to keep track of our steel rule Die's that we maintenance ourselves, i.e Punches changed, rule changed, etc. But then with the slow down and down sizing in our Company, and people wearing more hats, I neglected to enter information into the log, therefor the write-up.

Now I want to make the log more simple, instead of this massive spreadsheet with this abundance of information as too Punch change, rule change, soldering etc, and just focus on how many parts are being produced of the Die before it is brought to the Tool room for repairs.

Our Tool guy says in general you can run approx.4500 parts of a die, before it needs any maintenance. Okay sounds good, but I don't want to answer the NC by giving a specific number and say that the tool needs to go to the tool room and be fixed. Because if the tool runs good, and parts are good, beyond the 4500 part mark, I am not going to a) have the Operator stop and tear her setup down, and b) my experience with a set number, if we are not right on the money and my CB comes in and audits and let's say we ran 4510 parts of the Die, it will result in a NC.

Then I have to take in consideration that every Operator runs different and also the Press(es) the Die's can be ran at.
I also don't want to hand our Operators another piece of paper for them to record the info. Papers can be lost easily, something could be forgotten to be recorded etc.

So my solution to this is, that I can record the Die #, date and amount of parts ran at First Piece Inspection ( I have all the above Info on the Shop order ) and just enter it on a Spreadsheet there.
When the Die does have to go to the Tool room, currently the Press Operators affix a Die repair tag to it, circle what needs to be done, what Press it came from and date. I can match the info to that and then add the parts total and eventually get some more current results to when to do Preventive maintenance.

My question is, does this sound simple enough, or am I'm making more work for myself? I mean with the log I had started, it just got bigger and bigger, but I couldn't really get no good results, and I don't want that to happen again. Any advise would be appreciated. :thanx:

P.S Sorry this is so long.

Can someone with this type of expertise help?

Thank you very much.

Stijloor.

F

fsheikh99

Hello there. I am sorry don't know answer to your that long question :) but the purpose of writing here is that, I am also looking for some "paper-based" preventive and other types of Equipment Maintenance Formats. If someone could held it would be highly appreciated.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Cheers.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
B

Big-R

I just joined the board and my background is in equipment maintenance. Here’s my opinion:

Most regulations refer to preventive maintenance requirements, understanding there is a difference between preventive (scheduled tasks based on time, # of cycles, etc.) and unscheduled maintenance (break-fix, EQ failure, etc.). Findings are almost always phrased in the terms of “preventive maintenance.” As you described your process, you cannot determine a time or cycle based schedule for die maintenance. In general terms, this pushes these events to “unscheduled”.

Logging the number of the die with the shop order is a good idea, but it doesn’t address the finding. Based on your post, you’re missing two things; a maintenance procedure for your dies, and evidence the maintenance was carried out.

For the procedure, I recommend creating a document which states you’ll run a die until it needs to be repaired (run to failure). Seems in your process, normal inspection would catch a die-induced defect in the finished product. At that time, the die is replaced, the repair tag created, and it’s sent to the tool room.

For the evidence, you could use a paper-based repair form, keeping it simple. Suggested data includes work order number (could use sequentially numbered forms, etc.), date work was completed, die ID, comments, and signature of individual performing the maintenance. I recommend retaining these documents by die ID for easy finding later.

Ryan

antoine.dias

Hi,

We have never used a fixed number of parts before the tooling was sent to repair.
Instead the tooling was checked before each order (first piece) and after each order run.
When it was still OK after the order it was tagged OK (with indication of cumulative number of parts produced) and was sent to storage.
When it was not OK it was tagged accordingly including the repair wanted.

This has worked well for years on end and has been accepted by different auditors.

Best regards,

Antoine

R

Rick Fox

I can assume that you inspect dies on a regular basis.
I would fully document what is called for in a die inspection, and how often one is held. This is your PM.

This should be a formal document with a document number that is referenced by the PM tracking system which can be as simple as an Excel spreadsheet. (which should contain a formal document number as well (and called out on the PM).

After this, you should not receive any NC for the program. You have to follow what you document though.....

try2makeit

Thank you all for your kind replies. It surprised me that this subject came back up in the Forum list.

Here is a update on what I implemented:

I started to record the tooling number, amount ran and date in a excel spreadsheet. Once the Operator brings the tool in to be fixed, I get the repair tag and record the date it was done and then add all the several runs together to get a part total. Excel is wonderful to me..:D
I set it up that it will add the totals and average it out for me, so when I enter another job setup and can take a glance at were we at and give the operator the heads up that it needs to go in for repairs or if we are still good.
Some tooling takes a bit longer to collect data, because they are not run very often, but others are used weekly.
Our new auditor that did our Re-certification this year, audited it and he was happy that I could show him that we are doing it with the corresponding dates and averages.

Again Thank you for all your replies.:thanx:

Top Bottom