NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) - How I can get at least Level 1 certified?

R

RLight

Hello all,
This is the issue: While I (the QA lab tech) was on travel, the engineers bought some new equipment. One MagParticle tester and one Ultrasonic tester. No one is certified to run this equipment.
Does anyone know how I can get at least Level 1 certified? I am a CWI but I dont think that counts for anything in the NDT world.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Ryan

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Hi Ryan,

Oh, I am sent back to the good old days of NDT. Hardly anyone asks about this subject.

The American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) is your best first stop: http://www.asnt.org/

Selected college courses may also be available for this technical training, but probably only to assist in preparing for certification.

I am guessing the mag particle tester is for dry powder applications. This is not terribly involved, but it involves some math and there's ample opportunity to hose up an inspection so you correctly judge that training is essential. You don't say if the ultrasonic machine is for digitally read thickness only, or "reads" deep imperfections with an oscilloscope display...or even with shear wave, in wet or dry applications. Digitally reading thickness is not brain surgery, but shear wave gets complicated so you need to start with the needs before you approach the right kind of training.

Certification requirements vary per the need--there are all sorts of certs. It's important to determine the extent of the need because the process could get involved and pricey. I'm interested to know if your engineering group intends to use this equipment for informational purposes (in which you would need training but ASNT certs may be overkill); if there is a contracted spec--government, for example; or inspection using the equipment is being planned for in-house quality assurance purposes.

My reason for asking is this: A government contract would probably demand a full-blown program with equipment certification, not just operator, and a maintained system with audits etc. This represents the greatest program controls level. Simple information purposes demands no program control, but your QMS may call out equipment calibration and proof of your competence. This would be minimum control. In between control levels vary according to need, of course.

I think it's interesting that you returned from a trip, saw this new equipment and now you say you need training. What does your department say? What is the plan for this equipment? To what extent will you need training and/or certification, which is generally a combination of written exam and hands-on testing by a Level III (examiner certification level) either in-house or contracted? I certainly hope this has been all decided and you can just go for some specifics once you help them locate a source for your training.

I hope I haven't made this too confusing!

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Our accredited steel fabrication facilities are required to have Level III inspectors.....check with American Welding Society.....AWS.....not sure of the website, I'm afraid.

Hershal

D

DFonville

Re: NDT - Does anyone know how I can get at least Level 1 certified?

I would suggest finding a local NDT Inspection company in your area, find out if they have a Level III on staff, or know of one that can give the test, he'll be able to tell you how many hours of testing and monitoring you'll need before you can be certified. Although you have to be certified to an Level II to interpret the test, Level I can only perform the test under supervision of a Level II or Level III, Level III are the only one that can give the class and certify the inspector. Good Luck

Top Bottom