Preventive Action (PA) Examples - Seeking Examples, not Definition

R

Roger Eastin

I would like to have some examples of preventive actions. I do not need a definition of preventive action, but examples. I would like to see how creative folks have been with this area. I want to give my management a "broad brush" idea of how to apply preventive action, but I think I'm being too restrictive myself with P.A. Thanks ahead of time.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Roger,

We defined the following 3 items as the core of our preventive action program:

1) Preventative Maintainence and Calibration of equipment.

2)Weekly sales call reports from our sales rep to upper management.

3) Employee suggestion box (and yes, it really is a very active system here, not just lip service from upper management).

Hope these ideas help.

Regards,
Carol

S

stefanson

FMEAs are a good idea. Also, many organizations classify all Continuous Improvement activities as PAs. Unfortunately, the 2000 revision to ISO 9001 still has the highly subjective requirement for Preventive Action (w/documented procedure too) after all they've done to add Continuous Improvement. Some organizations also track Trends over Time, and define Preventive Action when limits are exceeded or goals not maintained.

[This message has been edited by stefanson (edited 12 January 2001).]

J

Jim Triller

Examples of preventive action:
1. Training employees before starting work so they know how to do the job correctly.
2. Contingency planning.
3. An effectively implemented maintenance system.
4. Knowing your process capabilities and not promising customers more than that.
5. Knowing your supplier's process capabilities and not expecting more than that.
6. Decision making based on facts and data.
7. Disaster recovery planning.

L

Laura M

PFMEA for an inspection operation resulted in "potential" identification problems that were fixed. No complaints, but "potential"

Just one example from that exercise.

The thought process of a PFMEA on just about anything comes up with some interesting answers.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
> The thought process of a PFMEA on just about anything
> comes up with some interesting answers.

To be blunt, thinking is the key word. Thinking about anything should provoke interesting questions and, hopefully, some answers as well.

M

marcelo

other examples:
- The prevection accident in the job, before of occur, for example, install gages friendly for impede accident.

Thank you, sorry my english.

R

Roger Eastin

Thanks for the answers. We are using our PFMEA as the basis for preventive action, but the question came up about other sources for preventive action. This is where my stereotypical thinking came into play and I sort of blanked out!!! So, thanks for the mental "Drano"!!

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
> Example: A QS consultant we were using told me that bringing in a QS
> consultant is a good example of preventive action.

Only if it's me... :)

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 16 January 2001).]

A

Alf Gulford

Let's keep this thread going for awhile. We all seem to get a little linear in our thinking and it's good to see what others are including.

Example: A QS consultant we were using told me that bringing in a QS consultant is a good example of preventive action.

What else can we use?

Alf

Top Bottom