Is tool wear monitoring and MTBF of machine parts considered as PdM?

C

calibration-emd

Hi! I'm with Maintenance Department and I don't have enough background on this area. I want to clarify things about predictive maintenance since until now, I think that we don't have a good system on this. Currently, we have set frequency of replacement of some parts of our machines such as blades, roller, etc. Then we have started collecting data on the tool life of major parts of our machines and set its MTBF Is this enough for our predictive plan? I was browsing other forums and other sites but what I'm reading is totally different like the vibration analysis, oil analysis, thermography and other methods for predictive maintenance. Can anyone enlighten me with this topic (in Layman's term please???)

S

samsung

Hi! I'm with Maintenance Department and I don't have enough background on this area. I want to clarify things about predictive maintenance since until now, I think that we don't have a good system on this. Currently, we have set frequency of replacement of some parts of our machines such as blades, roller, etc. Then we have started collecting data on the tool life of major parts of our machines and set its MTBF Is this enough for our predictive plan? I was browsing other forums and other sites but what I'm reading is totally different like the vibration analysis, oil analysis, thermography and other methods for predictive maintenance. Can anyone enlighten me with this topic (in Layman's term please???)

Predictive maintenance is something that enables the operator to exactly predict when the Preventive maintenance needs to be performed. The techniques used in Predictive maintenance, as you pointed out, are data collection & analysis, MTBF, Vibration monitoring, Oil analysis etc. etc.

So, if what you are currently doing provides you with adequate information on when to perform the PM (like replacement of parts) and if your predictions are often correct, then it should be considered as part of Predictive Maintenance, in my opinion.

C

calibration-emd

Thanks for the quick reply. If that is the case, do we have to set the tool life of each part of our machines? What we are gathering now are data to predict when to replace parts. Is this enough for predictive maintenance? This is also the only process indicated in our Procedures Manual for PdM. :eek:

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
You may be able to get more specific responses if we knew generically what kind of processes you are trying to implement predictive maintenance.

R

Richard Pike

AHH -- no doubt from VDA 6.1 -- Predictive Maintenance.

In the simplest of language - whatever you use to "predict" your MTBF and which is subsequently used to establish Preventive Maintenance.

In some cases they may be "preventive activities" such as monitoring machine vibration or accumulation of sludge or noise or even "quality" output.

Note - predictive maintenance! dont forget to add it to the list of Prevention Activities you do in your company.

C

calibration-emd

One of major process is arc welding. As preventive maintenance, we do checking of parts(external and internal), application of oil, cleaning and tightening of bolts. For predictive, we monitor the parts of the machine and check on our set frequency of replacement if it is nearing its MTBF and replace it if it does.

S

samsung

One of major process is arc welding. As preventive maintenance, we do checking of parts(external and internal), application of oil, cleaning and tightening of bolts. For predictive, we monitor the parts of the machine and check on our set frequency of replacement if it is nearing its MTBF and replace it if it does.

Is the machine actually (made) available for Preventive Maintenance exactly or near to when you predicted it to be maintained ? Why I'm asking is because often it's not the case in manufacturing industries and the maintenance engineer is invited only when the machine has stopped working and a B/D maintenance is to be performed.

Top Bottom