How to Assure Quality for Machine Shop Center?

Anerol C

Trusted Information Resource
Hi to All,
I need how you are assuring quality on your machining operations.
We have a machine shop center where we run about 600 different parts monthly, currently parts are inspected by quality auditor randomly based on lessons learned or critical parts, if parts are ok a realease sheet is put on the parts, but the realease sheet is just for those critical parts or parts that based on experience need to be checked, for the rest of the parts everybody knows that those parts are ready to go when the job is finished.
We are working to implement audit check list for the operators where they will verify machine set up and product features; the audit check list will be completed for the operator for all part #'s that will be run at the shop, as the auditor doesn't have the capacity to inspect all parts: we will divide the parts in Critical parts and not critical parts, on the critical parts auditor will inspect/measure the critical features per audit check list, if part is ok auditor will stamp the work order and put the release sheet, for the non critical parts auditor just will verify that operator has completed the audit check list and parts is ok and will stamp work order. What do you think about this?
Is anybody using a sampling plan for inspectio at your machining shops?
I appreciate your comments.
AnerolC.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
This post by Wes in another thread should give you some ideas how others are doing it.
Thanks for finding that, Harry. If I would add anything to what I wrote back then, it would be to put a LOT of emphasis on working out the profitability of an order during the Contract Review stage. My experience then and since in looking at contract manufacturers who failed to the point of closing their doors was an almost universal ignorance of their true profit margin on any one product.

What results is the profitable projects and customers end up subsidizing the unprofitable ones. Soon, the profitable customers seek out other suppliers where the pricing is more advantageous, but the unprofitable ones continue to do business with the hapless supplier who is subsidizing them. Ultimately, only unprofitable customers remain!

Other posts of mine on the machining business which might be interesting to read:
Contract Review
from thread
An efficient shop
from thread
High tech machining - the beginning
from thread
Empowering quality
from thread

harry

Trusted Information Resource
...........................What results is the profitable projects and customers end up subsidizing the unprofitable ones. Soon, the profitable customers seek out other suppliers where the pricing is more advantageous, but the unprofitable ones continue to do business with the hapless supplier who is subsidizing them. Ultimately, only unprofitable customers remain!.................

These are words of wisdom and I think, universal truth. I had gone through that stage, bite the bullet and almost bled to death. The old adage, sacrifice initial profit for the sake of long term business and relationships only work if both parties have a 'fair' deal.

Last edited:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Thanks for finding that, Harry. If I would add anything to what I wrote back then, it would be to put a LOT of emphasis on working out the profitability of an order during the Contract Review stage. My experience then and since in looking at contract manufacturers who failed to the point of closing their doors was an almost universal ignorance of their true profit margin on any one product.

Sometimes it's not ignorance, but a weird sort of hubris mixed with wishful thinking and denialism. Witness today's Dilbert, which is very apropos.

Top Bottom