How to write clear & concise Problem Statement when using problem solving techniques?

kedarg6500

Quite Involved in Discussions
I need help on " How to write clear & consise Problem Statement" while using problem solving techniques and writing CAPA's

will anybody shall give practicle guidence?

thank you in advance

kedarg6500

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: define a problem statement

I need help on " How to write clear & consise Problem Statement" while using problem solving techniques and writing CAPA's

will anybody shall give practicle guidence?

kedarg6500
Throuogh time and reading and some coaching lessons, i learned these things:

Practicals:
1. Problem = Deviation from the norm or gap from what is desired. In stating your problem, always compare the current situation to either the "should be norm" or the "should be condition"
2. Never assume that your reader/audience understand the same words you use as you understand them. Define words as explicitly as you can.
3. Put in the element of time, so you can limit the scope of your problem.
4. Make sure your statement answers WHO,WHAT,WHERE,WHEN,HOW whenever necessary.
5. Be open minded. Always remember that the way you define your problem will almost always influence how you design your solution. A statement "How can we paint the wall in a day's time" is very different from "How can we get the wall painted in a day's time". (I learned this from Mark Twain's Novel :D )
5. It's always a good idea to have you problem statement reviewed by your teammates.

Hope that helps. Im sure other's will also share their "thumbrules"

>>rey

C

chergh - 2008

Re: define a problem statement

I would suggest this:

1. Define what you see as the problem e.g. which process/service, what is happening vs. what should be happening

2. Give your evidence to support your view e.g. incomplete forms, increase in defect rates, customer returns

3. Define why it is a problem e.g. violation of a clause of ISO 9001/internal procedure, customer complaint, different from as defined in procedure

Re: How to write clear & consise Problem Statement when using problem solving techniq

In that case I suggest some of the threads at the bottom of this page (scroll down to similar threads). Since defining the problem is the first step in solving it, searches for "problem solving", "8D" or "Kepner Tregoe" will dig up lots of previous threads that may come in handy.

/Claes

Anerol C

Trusted Information Resource
Re: How to write clear & consise Problem Statement when using problem solving techniq

Hi to All;
I have been searching in the Forums before posting and I didn't find what I'm exactly looking for.
Do you have some material or exercises to share with me about what is a good problem description.
I'm the CAPA administrator and I'm the only person that is generatin CAR's (obviously upon request) some times the personnel requesting to open CAR's are not providing enough information and I try to get more infobut it seems that it has not been good enough, any way I need to improve and I'm agree that I need and also a new Quality Manager has arrived to the plant and he has been criticised the system (or to me?? :confused:).

Thank you for your input.

AC:thanks:

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator

the reference to Kepner Treqoe is a good one.

essentially the Problem statement should be a single phrase that statest the thing and what about the thing that deviates from the desired state.
Kepner Tregoe uses the phrase OBJECT DEFECT.
teh problem statement should be
  • clear
  • concise
  • specific
  • factual
  • not a guess at cause (opinion; debatable)

following the problem statement, a Problem Description should be given that provides salient details about the Problem: it's effect if known, extent, timing (is it a change? if so, when started) if known, where found and where occuring if known, etc. But this should be a brief description and it should not address possible causes or solutions.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Tool for developing effective problem statements

Friends,

Attached is a simple tool that can be used to develop effective problem statements. Many problem-solving (corrective action) efforts are misguided because the problem was never well defined. Please remember: "A problem well defined, is half solved."

I appreciate your feedback.

Stijloor.

Attachments

• Developing Problem Statements (Cove).doc
    31 KB · Views: 1,173
C

ccochran

Re: How to write clear & concise Problem Statement when using problem solving techniq

kedarg6500,

Hello! If you go here, you'll see a book chapter that attempts to describe how to write a problem statement:
Dead Link Removed

It's part of a book I'm in the process of writing...

Craig

Last edited by a moderator:

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
My two Euros below:
Describe the problem. (Be concise)
- Identify circumstances or time period.
-Discuss the extent and/or impact – identify (if
possible) both the performance problem and estimated cost impact

Top Bottom