Is a Weld Destruct Test Effective - Have any of you ever used this test?

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Have any of you ever used this test and is it an effective test to determine weld strength. Any links to info on weld test is appreciated.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I've seen different types of weld destruct from simply using a pair of pliars to try to pull a weld apart to using a tensile strength apparatus to measure the force at which the weld separates (e.g.: good weld - sheet metal - metal around weld 'tears').

Can you give us some more details of the weld destruct test you're using - And the intent?

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Yes..more info would help. What type of weld? RSW, MIG, TIG. I may be able to dig up some info for you if you can provide more details.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I just remembered another 'weld test' I've seen - The Chisel Test. Pass / Fail, all the person did was see if a 'good whack' with a hammer on a chisel at the weld point would break the weld. There wasn't even a 'spec' on what size hammer or chisel to use!

I guess I would ask where the test is defined. Usually it's on the print if there is one. Then I would look at it and see what it calls out.

I have seen a lot of 'idiot' weld tests come out of a nonconformance issue where a test was cobbled together just so they had 'something'.

J

Jim Howe

gpainter said:
Have any of you ever used this test and is it an effective test to determine weld strength. Any links to info on weld test is appreciated.

My limited experience in welding tells me that details of accepted destructive weld test and deposited filler metals can be found through the AWS (American Welding Society).
I believe it is AWS B4.0-77. I do not have a copy, sorry!
Basically destructive test are performed on sample weldments made with procedures that will be used in the production of the weldments. They are conducted for the qualification of welding procedures and consist of chemical, metallographic and mechanical test or a combination of all three.
AWS probably has a web site that will be more informative. Also there are several great books in your library that contain a wealth of background info. If all else fails call Lincoln Electric or visit their web site for more info.
Hope this gives you some direction.

A

AllanJ

gpainter said:
There is no single test for determining weld strength. It depends on what aspect of "strength" is of interest. Destructive testing takes place on a "coupon" which is subjected to different individual tests. The ASME codes (3 and 8) used to give details of various tests, as I recall for pressure vessels. For other applications of welding, look at the applicable code, e.g. for construction.

Otherwise, try one of the weld societies or manufacturers of welding rods. And Lincoln does have a fine reputation.

Finally, if your product is being tested for an export market, it is worth checking the national or international standards that will apply as well as the compatibility of materials standards (American vs other nationals, e.g. British, German whatever.)

If you do not have the in-house facilities, look for a certified laboratory or independent weld testing service. They will be sure to have the necessary standards, equipment and so forth.

Hope that helps.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
The test our supplier is using is based on pass/fail as to whether it pulls parent material. mig, 20-21 volts, 150-160 amps, 20-25 flow rate, c-25 shielding gas type, .030 wire diameter, el705-3 wire type. if i read their instructions correctly.

Last edited:
C

cncmarine

First thing you need to do is find a Level 3 in your area.

Tell the Level 3 to write your WPS and PQR. Those documents will have all the detailed infomation needed for testing.

Before doing destructive testing do some NDT. MPT,LPT, and UT (combo of) will require even if its worth having the destructive testing done.

C

cncmarine

gpainter said:
slingblade, please elaborate on your acronyms as I know very little about welding

WPS: Welding Procedure Specification

PQR: Procedure Qualification Record

MPT: Magnetic Particle
LPT:Liquid Pennetrant
UT: Ultrasonic Test

Go to:
AWS.ORG
www.nde-ed.org (Great Site)

Top Bottom