How to Start Six Sigma GB (Green Belt) / BB (Black belt) Internal Training?

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Our company has couple of Green Belts and Black Belts and with that in mind, the management has initiated "why dont we train our employees for GB / BB by conducting training lessons ourselves".

Can I know from the forum what are their experiences with this concept ? Also, how do we start ?

:thanx:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Six Sigma GB (Green Belt) / BB (Black belt) Internal Training?

What fun! Next we'll get Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland and we'll put on a show in our barn to rival the best Broadway has to offer, outselling Music Man!:notme: :lmao:

Seriously, my response in a similar thread (http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=164018&postcount=8)
How do the instructors determine the students are competent after training? How are the instructors selected and evaluated on proficiency in training?

Many of the folks here will attest folks who are proficient in a Body of Knowledge are not always able to help other folks learn that BOK.

Who designs the curriculum? Who determines whether students may need different style or method of learning to assimilate the material?
is intended to demonstrate that education and training are NOT casual, spur-of-the-moment activities, but need to be well thought out with the economics of the situation well in hand.

Well run organizations with active BB and MBB often find the economics of preliminary training off-site combined with hands-on oversight on the job by a resident BB or MBB is more cost-effective than setting up curricula, training rooms, competency exams, "training the trainer" for the instructors to make them effective, etc.

My personal experience with one or two of various BB and MBB presenting seminars and "white papers" on various aspects of the BOK is that I would be reduced to tears if I had to suffer through more than one hour of their "training" despite the fact that their material was excellent. It takes a special personality to be a good trainer. In addition, there are learned skills, honed by experience with a variety of students, which separate good teachers able to impart knowledge to their students from good practitioners who don't have a clue on how to train anyone.

For a good analogy, think of someone you know who may have driven a car for years without a ticket (my 86-year-old mother) - do you really think she'd be capable of teaching your 16-year-old son to be a good, safe driver?

Last edited:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Six Sigma GB (Green Belt) / BB (Black belt) Internal Training?

:topic: Wes - The link in the post above was an invalid link. Can you repost the link, please?

AndyN

Moved On
Our company has couple of Green Belts and Black Belts and with that in mind, the management has initiated "why dont we train our employees for GB / BB by conducting training lessons ourselves".

Can I know from the forum what are their experiences with this concept ? Also, how do we start ?

:thanx:

One aspect of doing the training yourselves is the consideration of the time and cost of developing training materials. If a typical Green Belt training is 4/5 days of 7-8 hours duration, plus and exam to check competency, then you are looking at about 400 hours of materials' development time!:mg:

And that's probably a conservative estimate;) If you try to cut down on this by using 'other sources' it still presents the challenge of pulling it all together to make sense.........for how many people?? On top of that you also have to consider a lack of experience to draw from. Many external trainers not only bring materials, but a wealth of experiences of doing 6 Sigma many times over.

My guess is that it's not cost effective. My suggestion is "don't start'.

Why is it that management always think this kind of training can be done internally................????:notme:

Andy

Top Bottom