Who "owns" Sub-Processes?

Q

QAMTY

Hi all

Regarding the Process owner.

While in the developing procedures some doubts arose.
For example: in the Inspection Process (main process or core process) with its respective owner.
Under this process there are some sub-processes (or activities named by others) e.g. Labeling and shipping, Final Inspection, etc.

Do these sub-processes managed by other people, should be owned by them or by the owner of the main process?

What it is correct?

Thanks

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Good day QAMTY,

I do not know the size or dynamics of your organization, so it is difficult to answer your question.

I want to instead encourage you to decide this among yourselves. There is no one right answer. If you have a QA Manager/Engineer/Supervisor in charge of the overall process, for example but you have a gifted Quality Inspector, there is no reason that Quality Inspector cannot have control over the inspection process. All that's required is definition, implementation and effectiveness. That is, the procedures/SOPs etc have a defined owner (whoever it is), that person knows and feels capable and supported to control that sub-process, and the organization bears that out by supporting that individual in his or her proper attempts to maintain effective execution.

Does this make sense?

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Jennifer

Well my company is 100 people, my case is:
I have a Manager who is in charge of the Inspection process, with a lot of experience to manage the department.
Under him for Shipping, Final inspection,etc. he has other very capable guys
doing their jobs.

I know the manager has the overall responsibility but the other guys also have responsibility.
1-For not overlapping responsibilities I think should assign to each the proper responsibility

2- Can I call them owners as well?

Thanks

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Thanks Jennifer

I have a Manager who is in charge of the Inspection process, with a lot of experience to manage the department.
doing their jobs.

I know the manager has the overall responsibility but the other guys also have responsibility.
1-For not overlapping responsibilities I think should assign to each the proper responsibility

Thanks
Any process owner (Core process / Support process / Sub-process) needs to have certain leadership and managerial qualities so as to own his work to execute with authority and responsibility and within the stipulated time., and interact with peers to meet the organization requirements. He must have the big picture in clarity and know how to do his part of the picture.
Without these qualities one pretty much waits for orders or directions to perform and tagging them as owners of a process does no great either to the person or the organization.
So you have to judge and decide whom you will designate process owner and let them own and perform, with management constantly reviewing and providing resources and directions.
So my response is ... Does someone have the leadership and managerial qualities and abilities to be designated as process owner ?
How many processes then can he own and perform ?

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Thanks Jennifer

doing their jobs.

Thanks

Some literature about process mapping indicates process owner as well as stewards of the process. Besides there are also performers roles.
I think it is a question of responsibility and accountability, however the decision could be based upon the criticality of the processes and their largeness. :bigwave:

A

andygr

How about this for a way to identify the "owner".
Under the process base method there should be metrics that track the performance of the process. In most orginizations there are performance reviews based on some type of metric(s). Who is geting their performance review based on the subprocess metrics? This would be a front runner in my view for the process owner since they have a vested intrest in the subprocess and its preformance.
:2cents:

Top Bottom