Record of the Measurement Results of Devices and Calibration of Measurement Devices

T

Tamera

8.2.4.1 c) says a record of the measurement results? Is that as simple as accept or reject, or should we record the actual measurement? We are a composite shop and we work by customer design we do have critical dimension checks but we only stamp our travelers with an accepted or rejected stamp by our QC personnel.

my other question is calibration of measurement tools. We only calibrate tools such as calipers and ect.. that are used for the final product we do not ensure that tools are calibrated for inprocess inspections which to me are just as critical. Can anyone give me a reason why we should or should not calibrate our tools used for inprocess. :)

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Record of the Measurement Results of Devices and Calibration of Measurement Devic

8.2.4.1 c) says a record of the measurement results? Is that as simple as accept or reject, or should we record the actual measurement? We are a composite shop and we work by customer design we do have critical dimension checks but we only stamp our travelers with an accepted or rejected stamp by our QC personnel.

If you never have a rejection, it is not a problem. If you have a rejection, and need to go back and get historical process information, you will have the equivalent of a bucket of dirt. Numbers would sure have been handy....

my other question is calibration of measurement tools. We only calibrate tools such as calipers and etc.. that are used for the final product we do not ensure that tools are calibrated for in process inspections which to me are just as critical. Can anyone give me a reason why we should or should not calibrate our tools used for in process. :)

The best rule of thumb is if you are going to use a gage, you should have it calibrated. If it doesn't matter if it is reading accurately, why measure at all? A bad gage (dropped, broken, drifted, etc.) in production may one day not correlate with a good gage in final inspection...and all of the product will be scrap. Not the best time to find out. Is that OK? I'll let you decide.

Top Bottom