Incremental revisions to Quality Manual, and Training Records

cubix rube

Involved In Discussions
So, this really applies to ANY document in our QMS that gets revised at some point, but particularly, the manual, due to its size and scope.

Let's say, I start working at this company, and I don't see any training records to show team members being trained on the requirements of the Quality manual, so I train every employee at that time to the current revision level of the manual (we'll call it rev 20).

Later, I revise ONE sentence in the manual, that affects 1 person in the company, so I train that one person on the change that was made, and keep a record of that training. My problem is, that now, my manual is rev 22, but the last time everybody was trained, it was rev 20. The incremental revisions made at revs 21 and 22 only affected a small number of employees, so they were the only ones trained on the change. As a result, I have a training matrix that shows that everyone was trained to rev 20, three people were trained to rev 21, and one was trained to rev 22, but nothing on the matrix indicates the nature or scope of the changes at each rev level. The individual training record, in a personnel file in HR, indicates the nature of the change, and scope of the resulting training, but our training matrix just looks like we revised our manual twice, and only trained a few employees to the new revision.

Does anybody else have a concern like this, or similar, and if so, how do you deal with it? I'd like to know. Thank you.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
I agree with Marcelo. To clarify, the manual should reference other documents (procedures, etc.) instead of incorporating them.

When you revise any document, you train only the people that use that document.

Also, if you have auto-notification of changes and your team knows to heed those, then you may not even need extra documentation of training save for major changes.

Top Bottom