Is there a Relevant Ink / Print Adhesion Standard (ASTM?) Standard?

O

ontheopenroad

I have worn myself out trying to find a standard. I swear, I have seen it before, but for the life of me I cannot find it out there at all (ANSI, ASTM, no where).

We print (screen and flexo) on flexible materials (PVC, tyvek, PE, PU, etc.). We perform and our customer performs a "scotch tape test" to check the adhesion of the ink to the substrate. We perform our test by applying the tape and peeling back at a 180 degree angle (or as close to 180 as possible). The customer does basically the equivalent of a "clean and jerk". There is a definite difference in the reaction of the ink.

I know that I have seen a standard somewhere for performing this scotch tape test. I did not get this 180 degree angle from "out of my @$$", but I cannot find the standard anywhere. I can find an ASTM standard for testing print on packaging materials, and also one for cross-cut or hatch tape testing. But we are not cross-cutting this substrate (we do for other tests, but that's beside the point).

Is anyone familiar with the scotch tape test and where I might find a reference or standard for performing this test. I'd like to "convince" our customer to modify their test method to match ours, provided that I can find some sort of guidance document to back up our method.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Ink / Print Adhesion Standard (ASTM?) - Is there a Relevant Standard?

I think it's an old mil standard.

J

Jorge Diaz - 2007

I think it's an old mil standard.

Somebody help me in getting the MIL-P-15147, I know it is an old mil spec, but I really appreciate if someone could help!!!

Thanks in advance. Jorge

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

ASTM test methods.

ASTM F1842-97 - plastic substrate

ASTM D3359-97 metallic substrate

ASTM F2252-03 Flexible packaging materials

J

Jorge Diaz - 2007

Discordian:
I´m looking for MIL-P-15147, since we need ink marking some copper-nickel tubing and I guess exist some chemical contents in the ink used, at the same time I need to know if exist some regulation regards the range on OD it shall be applied.

Thanks in advance.
Jorge

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

Discordian:
I´m looking for MIL-P-15147, since we need ink marking some copper-nickel tubing and I guess exist some chemical contents in the ink used, at the same time I need to know if exist some regulation regards the range on OD it shall be applied.

Thanks in advance.
Jorge

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with that standard.
I did printing on plastic packaging a number of years ago so the ASTM test methods are what was familiar to me.

A

Alan R

I'm currently looking into implementing the ASTM F2252-03 standards for our UV print vendors. All currently use a type of tape test and interestingly all use 3M #600 tape. The ASTM standard calls for #810 for UV tests. Any thoughts on the use of #600 instead of #810? I prefer to not make more waves than necessary-especially when all of our print vendors use the #600.

Thanks much,
Alan

C

César Augusto

Hi Alan R:

I'd like to do some tests on 3M 810 on cosmetic printed/coated packaging materials. In particular I want to compare it with the 3M 600. If you have any result I hope you could share.

I´ve made a cuantitative comparison between 3M 600 and 3M 616 because most manufacturers in cosmetics use 3M 616. I got incredible results by measuring peel adhesion over different materials I could share.

Thanks,
César

Top Bottom