Various Processes - "Management", "planning" & "feedback", oh my!

I

irish01

Hi everybody. i KNEW someone here could help me with this:

In a previous life, i worked in automotive. All of our documentation, from ISO 9001:2000/TS down to our Level 3 work instructions were cross-ref'd in a matrix as being relative to 9 different processes, they were:

Management, planning, feedback, purchasing, manufacturing, calibrations, shipping, maintenance & contract review. See example attachment.

Can anyone tell me...are these 9 wide-ranging topics something my old place of employment thought up for themselves, to define their processes by (at the time we were being pushed to do LPA's from chrysler and the trend in ISO as well towards "process-based" audits)? Or, were these 9 exact processes promoted by APQP? Chrysler?

Just trying to find out where they came from...i am in the midst of developing a documentation system and I kind of like this philosophy. Would like to sell it to upper managment--but need the 411 on it to explain it well!

Attachments

• Book3.xls
    13.5 KB · Views: 309
Last edited by a moderator:
D

db

Re: "Management", "planning" & "feedback", oh my!

In my opinion, they are probably developed by your former employer, based on logical groupings. Most companies start with a high-level flow chart of the business. To that, they add other support processes. The support processes could be based on the stanard, or ones they made up.

I recommend, you look at your processes (with management) to determine what you want your processes to be called. Instead of trying to sell them what it should look like, have them help you come up with it.

J

JaneB

I recommend, you look at your processes (with management) to determine what you want your processes to be called. Instead of trying to sell them what it should look like, have them help you come up with it.

Yes, me too.

I

irish01

OP here; yes, that would be the obvious answer...but upper management here does not think like we on the board do...they have "gotten along" without documented processes for so long--why in the world would they want to start now (esp when many are close to aging out for retirement)??? Its easier to find a system that works--and not spend time reinventing the wheel if the processes fit.

Another thread, for sure..."how to relay a sense of urgency" to upper management/anyone in your org.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

<snip> Another thread, for sure..."how to relay a sense of urgency" to upper management/anyone in your org.

Start here:

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."

Dr. W. Edwards Deming.

I

irish01

Yep, used to have that one on my email signature....:yes:

Top Bottom