What Training should a Quality Manager have?

F

Foodforthought

I have been a Process Engineer for about 27 years.

I have the Quality Manager position here were I work.
I have been in the position as of Oct 2011.

I know I need training.
Where and what training would you recommend?
We are located in Massachusetts.

thanks

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Quality Training

Are you being punished for something? :D

What industry are you in? What are the primary quality concerns?

F

Foodforthought

LOL, I hope i'm not being punished...

The industry is Electronics Contract Manufacturing

My concerns are.. everything.
I understand there are a lot of things related to ISO
Vaguely, I want to know whatever I should know to be great at my job.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

I have been a Process Engineer for about 27 years.

I have the Quality Manager position here were I work.
I have been in the position as of Oct 2011.

I know I need training. <snip>
I congratulate you on wanting to learn about doing a good job, especially since you don't describe any particular duress from bosses or customers.

Here's the deal:
You mention ISO -

1. is your organization currently registered?
  2. under pressure to get ISO registration?
If ISO registration is a factor in your thinking, say so and we can focus on that.

If you are just trying to be of value to your organization, I suggest you review the American Society of Quality (ASQ) Body of Knowledge (BOK) for the Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence Certification - CMQ/OE (BOK). Take advantage of the study guide and sample exams. See what training and books ASQ has to offer.

Let me hasten to add that even those of us who have been Quality Managers for a long time do not deal with every facet of the BOK on a day-to-day basis. It would be a rare individual who could score a perfect score on the test in the allotted time. A student who already has the job would probably take the sample tests to see what he knows and where he needs a little more knowledge. (It's a kind of Gap Analysis to determine the gaps in one's knowledge.)

I also want to reinforce the idea that the Cove is a great resource for filling those gaps in addition to the references provided by ASQ.

Last edited by a moderator:

harry

Trusted Information Resource
General training would be as what Wes recommended in the post above. As for specific training, that you be dependent on a needs analysis carried out on your self.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
I have been a Process Engineer for about 27 years. <snip>

The training plan is a part of the competence acquisition , that also come from skills, education and experiences.
However , the training plan should be focused on the activity that you will managed and the priorities of the organization.
Another point and question for you: given that you are in managerial position, did you follow a coaching training or passdwon with the previous mgr? Is it planned?
Give us more details. :bigwave:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Before getting all wrapped around the axle check out the job and see how it goes, you may already possess the necessary competence.

Good point. The best thing is to ease into it, take advantage of your own competencies, talk to people about what they need and do your best to keep the ship sailing. With 27 years of experience, the OP will be looking at familiar stuff, just from a different perspective, and bringing the proverbial fresh set of eyes to the job can make a world of difference.

F

Foodforthought

<snip>
  1. is your organization currently registered?
  2. under pressure to get ISO registration?
<snip>

Yes we are currently registered.

We are scheduled to re-certify in a month or so. In addition to the re-cert of 9001:2008 we are also adding ISO 13485.

A bit of back ground information, When I first started in the QM position I began with the last surveillance audits 4 minor (1 hit was quality manual did not include interaction between QMS and processes, 2 hits based on operation and quality procedure docs were not accurate compared to what was actually being done and another hit due to someone keeping a copy of an obsolete document on their desk top, the last hit was based on the other findings revealing the QMS system not being effective) and 2 observation hits.

Anyway.. based on the listed “Minor Hits” I thought I would start with assuring ALL documents were accurate. Doing what we are saying we are doing 100%. If the procedure and quality documents were not accurate I felt that I could not audit or train anyone if the documents were out of control. I took a copy of each and every document and sat with the person performing the job and updated the pertaining document/forms. Now mind you during this time I am still putting fires out on the manufacturing floor, inspecting incoming material, issuing CAR/SCAR dealing with all of the daily issues.

What I did not know (and I am not so clear about) was there are “levels of documents” some of these levels are subject to auditing and some are not?
Level 1 Quality Policy
Quality Objectives
Quality Manual
Organizational chart

Level 2 Quality and Operating Procedures

Level 3 Work Instructions, Process Summaries

Level 4 Forms and Records

While correcting the documentation I thought it strange that all the documents were quite vague as well as written passively. As a process engineer in the past when I had created procedures I went into detail. I made everything clear as glass. Everything here seems to be quite short of detail. There are no work instructions for any function here. I want to add the detail but the owners do not want me to turn the quality and operating procedures into work instructions and they do not want to me to create work instructions. I think we need work instructions.

I don’t understand why the lack of detail and or why the last QM did things the way he did.

I also do not want my lack of experience be the reason for failing certification or be an issue at any level.

I know I can’t remember everything but during any type of training there is an epiphany moment where you get “it” at this moment I don’t get all of “it”

Sorry for the rant but I want/need to know all of the ISO/ASQ specifics and requirements so I can understand what we need to do to remain effective and compliant. I also need to improve things but I want to make improvements based on remaining compliant.

thanks for the help

Top Bottom