Gage R&R template with more options than usual

J

Junne

Hi all,

I am looking for an excel template to do a lot of different R&R studies. I also need the option to do the study on just 1 part. You wont have part variation, but the study can tell something about the measurement system only and that's what i'm looking for.
For example the last R&R study I did was one with 3 appraisers, 10 measurements each and all on the same part. The results will be compared to the allowed tolerance.
I can't find a good sheet for this.
For example it wood be nice to first have to enter the setup: 1 to 10 appraisers, 1 to 20 repeatings, 1 to 20 parts. Then press a button and the empty sheet is created where i can fill in the values and then the sheet calculates the R&R values.
Is there a template like this, or one I can adjust to get this type of sheet?

Thanks a lot,
Jurgen

R

Richard Pike

Hi all,

I am looking for an excel template to do a lot of different R&R studies. I also need the option to do the study on just 1 part. You wont have part variation, but the study can tell something about the measurement system only and that's what i'm looking for.
For example the last R&R study I did was one with 3 appraisers, 10 measurements each and all on the same part. The results will be compared to the allowed tolerance.
I can't find a good sheet for this.
For example it wood be nice to first have to enter the setup: 1 to 10 appraisers, 1 to 20 repeatings, 1 to 20 parts. Then press a button and the empty sheet is created where i can fill in the values and then the sheet calculates the R&R values.
Is there a template like this, or one I can adjust to get this type of sheet?

Thanks a lot,
Jurgen

So in principle you want the option for one appraiser one trial and one part ? Obviously not. Conducting repeatability with one appraiser is fine but you will need a minimum of 2 trials to attain a range to work with. You will also need a minimum of 5 samples to gain any estimate of the Spread of the measurements.

If you advise what specifically you are trying to achieve maybe someone can help?

J

Junne

What I want exactly is an excel template file like I found on this forum, but with the options to do the study with:
1 to 10 parts
1 to 5 appraisers
2 to 10 trials

The reason I need to do the study with only 1 part is that I work in a measuring company and we do a lot of measurements for different clients with different equipment, like a faro-arm, gom-scanner, laser tracker, CMM...
We often get the question if we can measure a certain part with a good precision to tolerance ratio. So sometimes we only have 1 part to do the study on.
We also want to design some measurement tests to test our equipment in different circumstances but all just on one part, because we are not interested in part variation but in the precision of our instruments and operators.

For the moment I do the gage R&R studies manually in excel with the formulas and the look-up table for the coefficients. I briefly tried minitab but couldn't find the option to have only one part. So I was planning on making an excel template designed for our company needs. But first I hope someone has this kind of template or one I can start with.

R

Richard Pike

What I want exactly is an excel template file like I found on this forum, but with the options to do the study with:
1 to 10 parts
1 to 5 appraisers
2 to 10 trials

The reason I need to do the study with only 1 part is that I work in a measuring company and we do a lot of measurements for different clients with different equipment, like a faro-arm, gom-scanner, laser tracker, CMM...
We often get the question if we can measure a certain part with a good precision to tolerance ratio. So sometimes we only have 1 part to do the study on.
We also want to design some measurement tests to test our equipment in different circumstances but all just on one part, because we are not interested in part variation but in the precision of our instruments and operators.

For the moment I do the gage R&R studies manually in excel with the formulas and the look-up table for the coefficients. I briefly tried minitab but couldn't find the option to have only one part. So I was planning on making an excel template designed for our company needs. But first I hope someone has this kind of template or one I can start with.

No prob with using one appraiser providing you are happy with only reporting on repeatability.

Not possible to use less than 5 samples - and even then I would not put any money on the accuracy of the results.

I suggest to try using Cg instead of R&R.

Cg = Gage Tolerance Gage .................................. Tol / 6 Gage SD
.............6 x gage SD

a) Measure one part >15 times (purists will say more - but see what that size sample does for you)
b) Ensure you have at least 3 different readings - preferably 5. If they are all the same you have a problem with the gage resolution. Fix that first.
c) Calculate the SD of the 15 Data and call this the Gage Std Dev

The gage tolerance will be expressed as a % of the typical "product tolerance" that you can live with. I suggest with the type of measurements you are looking at <10% of tolerance may be OK.

The resultant Cg value should be >1 for the gage to be acceptable.

The above is not statistically following all the rules ... however if you get Cg values of say >1.67 (depending on the gage error you can accept) then it really doesn't matter about the statistical purity of the method. If you get <1 you definitely have a problem - and if less than <1.33 - it may be acceptable but needs looking at closer.

Alternatively - you can alter the gage tolerance value until you get a Cg of >1 (this will give you the precision to tolerance ratio.
Even if not following all the rules - proving you declare your method to you Customer, that should be OK.

If that works for you - to draw up a simple spread sheet is easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DominicE

Try this one I attached. I believe it will do what you want.

Attachments

• Gage RnR Forms.xls
    95 KB · Views: 776
W

wrekin

Hi, what you need to use is a Type 1 gauge R&R, this can be found in Minitab quite easily.

Top Bottom