Resume Formats - What Resume Format is Best for You?

Q

QE

What Resume Format is Best for You?

I have been trying to research the answer to this question and reading this post on http://www.quintcareers.com/best_resume_format.html.

It seems like there are three formats :
1) Chronological.
2) Functional.
3) Hybrid - Chrono-Functional.

The site talks about pros and cons to each. Cove's what are your thoughts ? what is the best format.....I have a chronological format right now and planning to switch to a functional. guidance, thoughts ?

QE.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Resume Formats

I have been trying to research the answer to this question and reading this post on http://www.quintcareers.com/best_resume_format.html.

1) Chronological.
2) Functional.

The site talks about pros and cons to each. Cove's what are your thoughts ? what is the best format.....I have a chronological format right now and planning to switch to a functional. guidance, thoughts ?

QE.

When I was in the Job Market, I used the Hybrid. It serves both purposes.

It worked the best for me.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Resume Formats

1) Chronological.
2) Functional.

QE.
The primary reason folks use a straight chronological resume is because it is more common. Folks who want to look like most other applicants for a job would probably use a straight chronological resume. Problem is, the candidate then looks like every other candidate - nothing to set him apart. Also, if the chronological resume does NOT show a steady rise in responsibility and accomplishment, it sends the negative effect the candidate is not adept at delivering value to his company in a manner that reaps reward.

If the resume is a functional one, some suspicious gatekeeper starts to wonder about whether there are serious gaps in employment or stretches where the candidate was in drab, humdrum jobs. Such a resume is also a signal the candidate is trying to obfuscate his job history to minimize exactly those aspects of his career.

All things considered, if you have no other clues as to what the hiring company really will be motivated by to call you in for an interview, go for the hybrid.

None of this, of course, negates the need for research into the target employer for info on what it really needs and how the candidate can make the hiring officer think he is the answer to their prayers. This is the ideal time to merge the target wants and needs with the candidate's Skills Assessment Matrix. With such ammunition, the cover letter and resume can be expertly crafted to convey the impression is a likely prospect to interview.

T

tomvehoski

I found the chronological was most accepted by HR people. Functional did nothing but confuse them. Mine has a bit of hybrid to it since I had some back to back positions that were similar, but with different companies. I list the companies together, and then merge the accomplishments.

In reality you can send your resume to 10 people and all 10 will have a different opinion.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I found the chronological was most accepted by HR people. Functional did nothing but confuse them. Mine has a bit of hybrid to it since I had some back to back positions that were similar, but with different companies. I list the companies together, and then merge the accomplishments.

In reality you can send your resume to 10 people and all 10 will have a different opinion.
there's a whole school of thought which argues this as a good reason NOT to use the same boilerplate resume to different companies when looking for a job - each has a different take according to its particular needs, biases, and prejudices - which is why it is suggested candidates do a lot of research to tailor the resume to the intended recipient.

The hybrid format allows a lot of individual emphasis, depending on what the target employer is seeking.

Top Bottom