What do YOU have to do to purchase Sudafed (pseudoephedrine HCl)?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Here in NJ, USA you have to go to the pharmacy counter to get any product with pseudoephedrine in it.
Then you have to fork over your drivers licence while they log your personal info.
Then you have to sign for it.

Has anyone seen any reports on if this has caused a kink in methamphetamine production?

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Here in NJ, USA you have to go to the pharmacy counter to get any product with pseudoephedrine in it.
Then you have to fork over your drivers licence while they log your personal info.

Has anyone seen any reports on if this has caused a kink in methamphetamine production?

The meth epidemic has most likely caused this since it is one of the chemicals required for the production. They haven't required that here in Georgia, that I am aware of.

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
AL has similar requirements. All products containing this ingredient are behind the pharmacy counter now.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Same here. Pseudophed is really the only medication I can take for sinus problems that does not have an adverse interaction with medication that I must take everyday. It is a pain in the neck to jump through hoops in order to purchase one of the safest drugs we have for congestion/sinus problems.

I am sure that this has had to hurt the makers, but I have not seen any data. I do know that a lot of cold and sinus meds took psuedophed out of their formulas and most people don't really understand that and cannot figure out why the stuff they have taken before does not work now.:(

Crusader

Same here in California. Not only do they ask for your ID but they limit how much you can buy at one time.

The "fake" Sudafed is on the shelf but it does not work at all. It's a waste of money.

L

little__cee

I bought the liquid Children's Sudafed yesterday at a local drugstore. I incorrectly assumed that since the it was the liquid version and that a children's product would have less "stuff" in the product, then it would not be subject to this rule. Wrong.

I had to do as described above...provide drivers license, sign the book, etc. To purchase one bottle of grape flavored children's liquid medicine.

I thought the meth people crushed the pills...does anyone know if you can use grape flavored liquid product to help in producing meth? :confused:

I'm curious.

T

tomvehoski

In Michigan you have to go to the pharmacy counter. Not sure if they log all of your info since the last time I bought was at costco about two years ago and I got a multi year supply. Then they did limit you to one multi-pack. I did buy some in Alabama a few months ago and did have to show my license and they wrote everything down.

I'm guessing it is a good anti-shoplifting tactic for the store too. I doubt that meth producers would worry about actually paying for the 100s of boxes they need.

I read somewhere (internet probably, so it must be true, :notme: ) that it has cause production to move to Mexico. I have no facts to back that up, just something I read.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
The federal law, included in a 2006 amendment to the Patriot Act, specifically exempts liquids and liquid "gel caps" from the restrictions placed on pills and other dry forms of pseudoephedrine. Each state can enact its own (more prohibitive) restrictions. Wisconsin allows for unrestricted OTC sales of liquids.

Top Bottom