What is Distance learning course?

P

pinkkol

Hey friends,
Can anyone tell me about online education? What is it? Who does it? Why people do it? What kind of technology is used for online distance learning? Actually I want to do some courses by distance learning and I don’t have much idea. Please help me in this matter.
Thanks a lot!

E

EJE0622

Distance learning is where you take college level classes or CEU classes on the computer for credits. In my experience, I have only needed a computer, and whatever software requirements are needed for that particular class. You may need to purchase books as well.

A

andygr

Distance learning covers a lot of differant type of presentation of material but all these types of presentation have the student remote from the teacher.
The technology used by most universities to platform the type of content that the teacher wishes to present is Blackboard ( http://www.blackboard.com/products/academic_suite/learning_system/index ). The class content can be power point, interactive class material, simulations, video and most anything else that they wish to use including the use of standard text books you would see in a face to face class. As with any class and the associated teacher some are real good and some are real bad.
In my case I do it because my scheadule is such that I can not attend in person classes offered in a collage on set days.

Distance learners need to be disiplined as you are in total control of your sucess or failure. Also a matter of if you are comfortable learing on your own. While there is interaction it is a type differant than that you experiance in a traditional class setting.
:2cents:

D

David DeLong

Hey friends,
Can anyone tell me about online education? What is it? Who does it? Why people do it? What kind of technology is used for online distance learning? Actually I want to do some courses by distance learning and I don’t have much idea. Please help me in this matter.
Thanks a lot!

"Distance learning" is using your computer, high speed internet connection and also a computer head set for verbal communication. One does not need to travel to class.

The training book is sent to the participant as a pdf file by e-mail.

During the training session, the Trainer's computer is "live" for everyone to see. Change a page on the Trainer's computer and the participants page changes also. The participant can also highlight anything on the Trainer's page at any time for everyone to see and discuss. One cannot do that in public seminar.

The computer headset with a microphone is used from verbal discussion. No long distance conference calls anymore.

Answers on in-class exercises are placed on the computer screen by each of the participants. Each has a computer pen with different colors and it is great but it is a bit like printing with the wrong hand though.

One could even switch computers for viewing in case a student wants to reflect, for example, a drawing for discussion.

Participants could come from anywhere in the world. It really doesn't matter. One could live in NY and take training from Los Vegas. The only disadvantage would be the time zone so maybe living in England and taking training from Chicago might

It is going to be the way training is presented in the future but people are still timid on this method.

I hope this helps answering your question.

A

Aaron Lupo

I have completed several courses at RIT(Rochester Institute of Technology) via Distance learning. As has been mentioned you need to have discipline to be successful. I have mixed feelings in regards to distance learning, while I really hate sitting in a classroom I do miss the face-to-face interaction that you have in a traditional classroom. My experience at RIT has been 95% good and 5% bad. A majority of the classes I have completed the Professors have been very interactive and helped; some teachers require group chat sessions some don't. The 5% that I have not enjoyed is the Professors that are absent from the class, don't respond to questions and in general make it a miserable experience.

A

andygr

The prof's you speak of are typicaly the tenured ones that do not want to use the media. They are not much better in person some times.
:2cents:

E

ewemily

Distance learning is a way of learning remotely without being in regular face-to-face contact with a teacher in the classroom. You can find more information at Hermods.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
I had participated in a DL class in the mid 90's that was done via video. The class was taped live on Monday and I received it in the mail on Tuesday. Only time that I needed to go in was to take the tests and I went to an satellite location that was in our area. it was a TQM class.

Top Bottom