Calibration of Rental Electronic Measurement and Test Equipment

T

tkevmoore

Occassionally we have to rent electronic equipment to accomodate upswings in Production or when a piece of equipment goes down. Like most of us, we always request a calibration certificate when we order the part. Like most of us, we return the requipment and that's the last we think about it. There is no communication with the rental supplier on whether the equipment was received in tolerance, thereby leaving doubt about the readings generated while we used it. I know the supplier is going to make sure the certificate is current before he sends it back out but when does this happen? Each time it is returned or just when it is due? Does 17025 require rental suppliers to calibrate upon equipment return as well as notification to customers of any out of tolerance conditions?

What about reference standards used by calibration labs. If one of those is found out of tolerance is it required by 17025 that they notify clients who had their equipment calibrated with that reference standard?

Sorry about the long post but this has reached a critical point in our facility.

Thanks for your sage advice.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Re: Rental equipment calibration

An excellent question. :agree1:

Of course the real answer is that it is up to you to arrange for the communication of as-found/ as-left data and such with the rental organization. I would suggest that might be part of the supplier evaluation process, ensuring that you are notified of the condition (as-found/ as-left) of the equipment that you utilize.

In short, I've always found it to be a real opportunity for improvement in the industry. However, rental organizations are in the business of renting; and not filling every little nuance that I may have regarding my equipment. :tg:

A couple of suggestions:

1. See if there is any way you could make verifications of the equipment prior to use, then make the verification prior to returning the equipment. If there is no variance, then you have more confidence in the equipment. Weak I admit, :), but better than nothing.

2. Arrange for a third party to verify the equipment prior to receiving it, and prior to returning it. It increases costs a bit, but at least you have documentation to support it's condition.

3. As mentioned, secure a rental arrangement where they notify you pre-and post conditions.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but using someone else's test equipment is always sub-standard to you having the equipment. Having your own equipment, keeping it in control, knowing the history, etc. seems much better than most other arrangements. :)

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Occassionally we have to rent electronic equipment to accomodate upswings in Production or when a piece of equipment goes down. Like most of us, we always request a calibration certificate when we order the part. Like most of us, we return the requipment and that's the last we think about it. There is no communication with the rental supplier on whether the equipment was received in tolerance, thereby leaving doubt about the readings generated while we used it. I know the supplier is going to make sure the certificate is current before he sends it back out but when does this happen? Each time it is returned or just when it is due? Does 17025 require rental suppliers to calibrate upon equipment return as well as notification to customers of any out of tolerance conditions?

What about reference standards used by calibration labs. If one of those is found out of tolerance is it required by 17025 that they notify clients who had their equipment calibrated with that reference standard?

Sorry about the long post but this has reached a critical point in our facility.

Great question :)

If you refer the a2la document, R104 (attached), refer section 5.5 S3 (page 8 of 13).

This document can be also found at the A2LA website - http://www.a2la.org/requirements/17025_SITE_REQ.pdf

Attachments

• 17025_SITE_REQ.pdf
    72.2 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
D

dv8shane

If the company is 17025 or even ISO 9001 I do not think you would have any worries. No respectable rental company with a strong QA system would want to take the chance of sending something bad worse yet not being able to check it for damage by the renter when it was returned. Full calibration is another story. Most companies will just take a series of readings but not a full calibration because of the cost to the customer, as stated by Marc you as the customer define the requirements.

As to the recall of customer goods if a 17025 compliant laboratory's reference standard is found out of tolerance it depends on the impact it will have.

For example a multi function calibrator is found to be out by 3 uV at 1 Volt, this would have no impact on meters to 5.5 digits, and a review would only need to be done of the data taken on meters 6.5 digits and more to find any units that were done that might recall because they were that close to tolerance. At this point it becomes part of the risk management system for the laboratory

Top Bottom