From Quality Assurance to Quality Control and Manufacturing to Non-manufacturing

A

ajay.khosla

hi to all the quality persons in this forum
I have this question for you
Right now i am doing a job in a small firm as a quality assurance engineer
just few days ago i got an opportunity from a medium firm(kinda big) as a quality control engineer,moreover they dont manufacture anything,its a big warehouse
so,what do all of youthink,should i join this firm or not?
and yes they are tellin me to sign a bond of 4 years also

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Often, when we talk about changing jobs within a company or changing to another employer, we need to ask ourselves,"What is my motivation for seeking or considering change?"

Is it for

• better pay?
  • working conditions?
  • opportunity for advancement?
  • personality conflicts?
  • desire for different geographic location?
  • etc.
One major question which paralyzes many is contained in Hamlet's soliloquy, where Hamlet lists his known fears, asking,
"And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?"

For most of us, embracing Change [of any kind] is easier when we are very unhappy with our status quo. If we are NOT unhappy, then we must convince ourselves the long term benefit of the change is preferable to the status quo. Ultimately, most folks sit down and make a checklist of the benefits and deficits of both the status quo and of the change. When there is no clear advantage to either choice, the decision is just one of "gut instinct."

A

ajay.khosla

everything is included in that job
better pay is there,working conditions are good also,company's name is big also
the only thing which is bothering me is that now i am in quality asurance department(an iso,ts company) but there i will get shifted to quality control engineer
i am an engineer not a mnager or assistant manager which means still at learning stage and the new company is a warehouse they dont manufacture parts,they are a big group which consists of several companies and those other companies manufacture goods for this firm. and yes clause of bond is also there too.

M

Migre

We are all, every day, still at a learning stage. Don't let that put you off.

We could all offer you various pieces of advice regarding this but it's your decision at the end of the day. I'm with Wes on the gut instinct summary. If you've carried out a reasonable amount of research on the company (i.e. don't make a decision off the top of your head), does it feel right to you? If the answer is yes, then what do you have to lose? If the answer is no, or 'hmmm - I'm not sure', examine the reasons why before making your decision.

Best of luck.

A

ajay.khosla

my gut instinct is tellin me to join
jus tell me if i break the bond,can they take any legal action

Q

Qualqueen

<snip>the only thing which is bothering me is that now i am in quality asurance department(an iso,ts company) but there i will get shifted to quality control engineer<snip>
Here's an explaination from Wikipedia.

Quality assurance versus quality control
Quality control emphasizes testing of products to uncover defects, and reporting to management who make the decision to allow or deny the release. Whereas quality assurance attempts to improve and stabilize production, and associated processes, to avoid, or at least minimize, issues that led to the defects in the first place. To prevent mistakes from arising, several QA methodologies are used. However, QA does not necessarily eliminate the need for QC: some product parameters are so critical that testing is still necessary. QC activities are treated as an integral part of the overall QA processes.

As far as legal actions, I agree with what Wes says; Consult an attorney in your country.

A

Atul Khandekar

Are you thinking about jumping the bond already?:) Do you think four years is too much to commit to this company? Personally I never liked the idea of signing a bond - you become bonded labour! Find out if there can be any other alternative eg. loyalty bonus.

I know of a few cases in IT where people jumped the bond but cannot offhand recall any instance where a company initiated any legal action for jumping the bond.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Are you thinking about jumping the bond already?:) Do you think four years is too much to commit to this company? Personally I never liked the idea of signing a bond - you become bonded labour! Find out if there can be any other alternative eg. loyalty bonus.

I know of a few cases in IT where people jumped the bond but cannot offhand recall any instance where a company initiated any legal action for jumping the bond.
It might be helpful if you were to explain what's meant by "bond" in this context. In the U.S., there are employment contracts, but they are generally limited in use to management and executive positions, and are negotiable. For example, a contract might state that the person hired will be paid a certain amount over the duration of the contract, and that the full amount will be payable if the company decides to break the contract (unless it's for cause under certain circumstances).

A

Atul Khandekar

In short, employment bond is a contract. Usually entered into to ensure / force an employee to stay with the company for a specified period of time. If you leave the job during the bond period (jump the bond), you are expected to pay a certain amount to the company, else the company can take legal action.

Google

Top Bottom