Including multimeters and network testers as monitoring and measurement devices

A

Ashley Cardin

Hi Everybody,

I hope someone can clear up my confusion. I'm trying to get the company that I work for ISO 9001:2000 certified. I have been going through and finding out about the processes that are present in our company and I came across something that I wasn't quite sure about (well several things actually but that's a whole different discussion). Our company is a wholesale distributor of computer parts, however, we also put together computer systems, Laptops, Desktops, and Servers, and because of this we have a service department to support these systems for our customers when they are having problems. I was looking at clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measurement Devices and wasn't sure if the multimeters and network cable testers that are used by the service department fall under this or not. I was looking at the fact that it asks for this in connection to conformity of product. Does the system that we repair become our product? Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

D

db

Ashley, first of all welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

Based on the information you presented, I would say the systems you build/service are indeed, product. Therefore the equipment you use might have to be calibrated. Part of the consideration falls into the phrase: “Where necessary to ensure valid results…” If the meters were not giving an accurate reading, what would the outcome be? If the meters need to be calibrated (not just “zeroed”) in order to have valid results, then they must be calibrated.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Ashley Cardin said:
Hi Everybody,

I hope someone can clear up my confusion. I'm trying to get the company that I work for ISO 9001:2000 certified. I have been going through and finding out about the processes that are present in our company and I came across something that I wasn't quite sure about (well several things actually but that's a whole different discussion). Our company is a wholesale distributor of computer parts, however, we also put together computer systems, Laptops, Desktops, and Servers, and because of this we have a service department to support these systems for our customers when they are having problems. I was looking at clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measurement Devices and wasn't sure if the multimeters and network cable testers that are used by the service department fall under this or not. I was looking at the fact that it asks for this in connection to conformity of product. Does the system that we repair become our product? Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
The service (repair) that you perform is your product. If you use the multimeters to as part of the verification, that you have performed the service correctly, then you need to control them. Measuring the power supply or bus voltages with the multimeter would be an example of this. What are the techs using the meters for?

A

Ashley Cardin

Thanks for the answers. I really appreciate it. :thanx:

The multimeters are being used to measure the voltage and resistance and help the techs pinpoint what actually needs to be replaced.

samer

Involved - Posts
ashley
you should have verification system for yr multimeters
at all you should verify yr device against standard one , since you are using it to check the conformity of yr product ,

you can verify one of yr multimeters externally , and the others could be verified internally against that one .

and be careful first verify ,then calibrate if needed,

samer
:blowup:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Short answer is that you should have the equipment calibrated. I always recommend that you use an accredited calibration provider.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

Top Bottom