Understanding IS/TS 16949 - Employee Awareness Training .ppt powerpoint presentation

Laurie Wright

Starting to get Involved
Does anyone have a presentation that can be used for Employees to help them understand what IS/TS 16949 is and how it affects them and their jobs?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Understanding IS/TS 16949

Welcome to The Cove Laurie!

I'm going to make this a little harder on you than you may have wanted.

First thing I will do is ask you to do a search of TS 16949 training using the Search tool in the tool bar above. I did a search of the attachments and found this page for you.

Second thing I will do is point out that you, not we, can best know how to describe to your company's people how TS affects them and their jobs. This will vary according to the types and depths of controls you (and they) already have in place, and the company's culture because some of the TS requirements may seem confining to, shall we say, a free spirit.

You can alter one of the presentations to suit your needs.

Last edited:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Understanding IS/TS 16949

Does anyone have a presentation that can be used for Employees to help them understand what IS/TS 16949 is and how it affects them and their jobs?

If you're looking for a generic type of presentation, while I'm not sure there are any for TS 16949 here, I know there are some for ISO 9001. It would be easy to tailor an ISO 9001 presentation to TS 16949.

For all intents and purposes, TS 16949 affects employees like ISO 9001 does - Very little if you come down to it. Employees are going to be doing essentially the same jobs as before because typically ISO 9001 implementation and registration does not tell a company HOW to run their business. The standards do require certain systems (and to a lesser extent minimum documentation), but other than that the biggest effect of ISO 9001 or TS 16949 is that, if there weren't audits before, there will be now.

I do understand your position, as I did implementations for years and the first thing was to explain to employees what ISO 9001 (or TS 16949) was and how it would affect them. Employees hear about "this new program" the company is introducing and are curious. I don't think it's as common these days as it used to be, but that is in large part because, I think, ISO 9001 (more than TS 16949 admittedly) is now pretty well known. Many employment advertisements today (and have for years) cited a knowledge of, or work experience in, an ISO 9001 registered company.

I've attached a couple of old files I have, but take a few moments and visit the files attached to posts listing as well as the free files directory here.

Attachments

• ISO9000 Basics.ppt
    241.5 KB · Views: 1,336
  • ISO9000-2000 Basics.ppt
    75 KB · Views: 992
  • TS16949 training overview.ppt
    230 KB · Views: 2,369
  • TS16949-2002AWARENESScove.ppt
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,991
  • TS16949-2002 training.ppt
    468.5 KB · Views: 2,090
Re: Understanding IS/TS 16949 - Employee Awareness Training .ppt powerpoint presentat

Allow me to humbly recommend the TS16949-2002AWARENESScove.ppt that Marc posted (it must be the best because I wrote it :rolleyes: ). It's got a lot of mileage on it since I have used this since 1989, at 2 different companies. It started with ISO 9000:1994 version and has been updated to include 2000 and then 16949. There is some input required on your part. YOU must make this real to your company by going through the presentation and pointing out where and how each of these sections are going to impact the specific departments or teams in your organization.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Re: Understanding IS/TS 16949 - Employee Awareness Training .ppt powerpoint presentat

Allow me to humbly recommend the TS16949-2002AWARENESScove.ppt that Marc posted (it must be the best because I wrote it :rolleyes: ). It's got a lot of mileage on it since I have used this since 1989, at 2 different companies. It started with ISO 9000:1994 version and has been updated to include 2000 and then 16949. There is some input required on your part. YOU must make this real to your company by going through the presentation and pointing out where and how each of these sections are going to impact the specific departments or teams in your organization.

Icy, haven't reviewed yet, but since it is vintage, I wanted to remind the readers that TS requires a process approach. This was not understood back in 1999.

Marc

Leader

Icy, haven't reviewed yet, but since it is vintage, I wanted to remind the readers that TS requires a process approach. This was not understood back in 1999.

Good point, and that can be lightly discussed, but for the most part as far as those out on the floor are concerned they will be doing the same job they always were doing. How in depth one goes in an over view 'training session' for floor level, and some other departmental level, employees depends upon how many people you want to get involved in 'process approach' 'training'. The farthest I ever went with it was at Harley where we taught all the managers at York how to flow chart and made them flow chart their processes, procedures, etc.

I remember when I used to do implementations throughout the 1990's I had a standard "What does this mean to you?" aspect I went through. Most of it was how to handle auditors (such as "never lie to an auditor"), and that they had to know their job duties, they had to know what they were trained to do (as well as all training they had gone through), they had to know what paperwork (procedures, forms, etc.) was applicable to their job and stuff like that. But for most of the individuals, even had the process approach been a popular phrase (let's get real - most companies used process approach whether they recognized it or not) back then, I probably wouldn't have mentioned it.

On the other hand, when I did implementations, even back in 1991, I used flow charts to lay out procedures and systems, although I didn't convince a company to redo it's documentation in flow charts until 1994. Using flow charts, we were using a process approach. We defined the flow of each process as well as interactions between departments/processes and such. Being a biologist by education, this all made perfect sense to me and it did to my clients as well. I used to call it a 'systems' approach.

Marc

Leader

Allow me to humbly recommend the TS16949-2002AWARENESScove.ppt that Marc posted (it must be the best because I wrote it :rolleyes: ).

You probably have the same file posted with a thread here somewhere already. I was in a hurry and just did a quickie search on my local machine hard drive and found these and uploaded them to feed Laurie something fast.

Credit and :thanks: to Icy.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Good point, and that can be lightly discussed, but for the most part as far as those out on the floor are concerned they will be doing the same job they always were doing. How in depth one goes in an over view 'training session' for floor level, and some other departmental level, employees depends upon how many people you want to get involved in 'process approach' 'training'. The farthest I ever went with it was at Harley where we taught all the managers at York how to flow chart and made them flow chart their processes, procedures, etc.

I remember when I used to do implementations throughout the 1990's I had a standard "What does this mean to you?" aspect I went through. Most of it was how to handle auditors (such as "never lie to an auditor"), and that they had to know their job duties, they had to know what they were trained to do (as well as all training they had gone through), they had to know what paperwork (procedures, forms, etc.) was applicable to their job and stuff like that. But for most of the individuals, even had the process approach been a popular phrase (let's get real - most companies used process approach whether they recognized it or not) back then, I probably wouldn't have mentioned it.

On the other hand, when I did implementations, even back in 1991, I used flow charts to lay out procedures and systems, although I didn't convince a company to redo it's documentation in flow charts until 1994. Using flow charts, we were using a process approach. We defined the flow of each process as well as interactions between departments/processes and such. Being a biologist by education, this all made perfect sense to me and it did to my clients as well. I used to call it a 'systems' approach.

Yes, you're right. On the floor, the "process approach is pretty transparent. That method of thinking becomes important as you move up the org chart. I do want operators to understand the concept of internal customers, and meeting those needs, some of the basic process approach concepts.

I also agree ISO did not invent the process approach. Progressive companies (and many experienced auditors and consultants) were already working in that mode. I like to say ISO recognized that and merely caught up to changing trend.

Laurie Wright

Starting to get Involved

Thanks for all the responses! It has been a huge help! :)

Top Bottom