Procedure for Calibration of my Load Cell Testing Equipment - Needed

I

IronThorn

Can anyone tell me the procedure for the calibration of my load cell testing equipment when it is being used to compress samples? I can imagine that if I want to calibrate it for tensile loading if I hang a weight from it then I can calibrate it that way but how about if I want to load it using a compression force ??

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: How can I calibrate my load cell ?

A calibrated-standard compression gauge between the compression plates on the device you want to verify?

just a guess. I always call in a calibration service.

K

Kevin H

Iron Thorn - I'm not entirely certain if this will help, as you're in Ireland, but in the US the standard used to calibrate test machines for force is the same for both tension and compression. It is ASTM E4, Standard Practice for Force Verification of Testing Machines - available through www.ASTM.org

I'd suspect that there is an ISO equivalent.

Good luck.

A

andygr

Not sure of the accuracy that you are required to meet but especialy in compression you want to verify alignment as this can affect your readings.
Look at the ISO 376 document

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
May I suggest ASTM Standard E 4? It is eactly structured for both compression and tension.....unless the load cell itself is for calibration, in which case I recommend ASTM E 74.....

Also there are a number of calibration laboratories that can calibrate both the load cells (known in E 4 as elestic devices) and the test machines.....contact me off-line if you need a lab.....

Hershal

D

DavidPhillips

Hi,
I work for a company who is able to offer you traceable calibration for a load cell in tension or compression to European standard ISO 7500 in N.Ireland Send me a mail for more information.
Regards
David Phillips

Top Bottom