Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > ISO 13485 and ISO 14969 - Medical Devices - Quality Management Systems
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Planned vs. Unplanned Deviation & Nonconformance

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2004, 11:25 PM
Clarence.L

Question Planned vs. Unplanned Deviation & Nonconformance

Anybody can helps to have a explanation of the term "Unplanned Deviation"?

And what is the difference between "Nonconformance" & "Unplanned Deviation"?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 23rd April 2004, 07:22 AM
Marc

A nonconformance is something (product or service) which is not to print or in some way does not fulfill the agreed to requirements.

I've really never heard of anything referrred to as an 'unplanned' deviation. If something screws up and its not detected until after the process is finished (or a part of a 'batch' or whatever) one determines whether its usable or not and may ask for waiver (concession) if it is. If I was in a court room I might want to call it 'an unplanned deviation' to keep the verbiage sounding neutral to a jury.

Another thing I guess you could call an 'unplanned' deviation might be if something happened and an engineer dictated an 'on the fly' immediate change. Example: Part is running and you run out of nuts to press in. You find another part in-house uses a nut with all the same characteristics EXCEPT it has a deeper ring groove. You start using the nut with the deeper groove (and later find out why you're using two different nuts causing you to stock 2 different part numbers - and yes, this is a real example...). As this happens you write up the deviation and walk it around for signatures (during which you are 'running at risk' - producing parts not to print without authorization). Technically these are nonconforming - wrong nut.

Can you give more details of the event specifics?
Sponsored Links

Old 23rd April 2004, 12:03 PM
Wes Bucey

"unplanned" is a euphemism

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Marc

A nonconformance is something (product or service) which is not to print or in some way does not fulfill the agreed to requirements.

I've really never heard of anything referrred to as an 'unplanned' deviation. If something screws up and its not detected until after the process is finished (or a part of a 'batch' or whatever) one determines whether its usable or not and may ask for waiver (concession) if it is. If I was in a court room I might want to call it 'an unplanned deviation' to keep the verbiage sounding neutral to a jury.
In my experience, use of the word "unplanned" is a euphemism for human error in most cases. Other times, "unplanned" is a euphemism for a pure special cause event (lightning bolt or power surge affects performance of machine.)

The bulk of the time, "unplanned" deviation results in a nonconforming product or service. Very rarely (almost never) it results in a happy (lucky?) improvement.

The premier example of this happy improvement is the oft-cited creation of Ivory brand bar soap (99-44/100% pure. It floats!) being the result of an unplanned deviation wherein an operator left a mixer running longer than the planned time and it entrained sufficient air bubbles into the soap mixture to make the resulting bar of less specific gravity than water, hence It floats!
(http://www.ivory.com/history.htm)

I hope this little discourse helps put the term unplanned deviation in perspective.
Old 24th April 2004, 10:55 PM
Clarence.L

Nonconformance

That is a finding in a formal audit~

When they were reviewing our nonconformance handling, they found that when there is any nonconformance found, we shall notify our customer in a timely manner, that's what we are doing now. But then, they questioned about the "unplanned deviation", shall we also notify our customer when there is an unplanned deviation found.

They suggested that we shall also consider "unplanned deviation" in the NC handling, but my opinion is Unplanned Deviation = Nonconformance, so I wanna address it out, and see whether any idea.

Many thanks.
Old 24th April 2004, 11:13 PM
Marc

I would simply ask your registrar for their definition of an 'unplanned' deviation and go from there. That will eliminate any ambiguity.
Old 26th April 2004, 05:38 AM
Vincnet

Clarence,

my understanding of unplanned deviation is in regard to good practices. Let's say if you have a study Plan to follow to assess a drug toxicity, you can have two types of deviations to the study plan:
1) type 1 deviations occured if for technical reasons you have to modify your protocol, but you know that before starting the experiment in this case it is a planned deviation in the sense that you know it before hand and can ask the promotors of the study if they accept it or not.
2) type 2 deviations occure when during the course of the study something goes wrong and you can't do a thing about it, it's an unplanned deviation.

So unplanned deviations can be seen as non conformities related to something planned such as a production process validation for example.

This is the way I interpret it. Might be wrong.

Vincnet
Old 11th July 2004, 01:45 AM
glenneperez

Unplanned Deviation

Hi Clarence,

Unplanned Deviation is a deviation which is not yet registered in your "Deviation List" or not part of your Risk Analysis or FMEA.

You need to update your deviation list when Unplanned Deviation arised.

GEP

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > ISO 13485 and ISO 14969 - Medical Devices - Quality Management Systems

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?