Circular Runout vs. Total Runout

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Good Day To All,

This question is rather straghtforward, although the answer may not be.

Regarding page 175 of Y14.5M -1994 figure 6-17 shows a Profile of A Surface of Revolution...call it a nozzle. It appears to be pretty clear except the specified Circular Runout Control, shouldn't this be a Total Runout Control?

Doesn't Circular Runout apply independently to each Circular Element of the Toleranced Feature, the drawing note states as much.

And when verifying Circular Runout, several independent readings are made at different places.

So what am I missing, is this an error, a judgemet call or are there several ways of accomplishing the same thing....it would seem that given this part, where would one take several independent readings?

Total Runout would appear to be the better or correct way....I checked and discovered that I posed a similar question awhile back, yet given that this is contained in Y14.5M -1994 it is worth posing a similar question.

Insight from the GD&T professionals would be appreciated.

Regards,
Marty

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Circular Runout vs Total Runout

Marty,

In ASME Y14.5M-1994, Figure 6-17 appears on Page 169.
Is that what you mean?

BTW, Total Runout can only be applied to a cylinder or a surface at right angle with a datum axis.

Stijloor.

D

David DeLong

Marty,

In ASME Y14.5M-1994, Figure 6-17 appears on Page 169.
Is that what you mean?

BTW, Total Runout can only be applied to a cylinder or a surface at right angle with a datum axis.

Stijloor.

What is this about total runout? It can apply on any feature where circular runout is applied. Total runout takes into account the shape of the feature.

Again, it can be applied both vertically or laterally.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

What is this about total runout? It can apply on any feature where circular runout is applied. Total runout takes into account the shape of the feature.

Again, it can be applied both vertically or laterally.

Total Runout.

Page 190, Fig 6-48
Page 192, Fig 6-50
Page 189, Par 6.7.1.2.2

Stijloor.

Top Bottom