Quality System for a Beauty Salon

I

IndicoltsQA

Hi all,
I am in my first couple of years as a Quality Engineer :) and my wife is in need of a QMS and Health and Safety manual update.
As I work in a busy aerospace company the QMS I deal with is far too extreme for her small business and I am struggling to know where to start to write her decent and robust documents that will help her business be more quality oriented....:frust:

Any help would be much appreciated! :thanks:

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Quality system for Beauty Salon

Start small: write up something for purchasing and receiving (as an example). Give this some time to develop and work, make any changes needed then move on to something else. Our Quality Manual is bigger now than when first started, we add things as we encounter problems or issues or as customer development occurs.

C

Curtis317

just a thought. You might want to do a google search on a quality manual for beauty salon. You might get lucky and get something you can start with then modify for yourselves.

K

KathySmith

I read the the thread title and clicked fully expecting to see a link to hair care products.

But that makes since, aerospace engineer's wife and saloon. Is there a hair saloon association or organization that set standards in the industry and has guidelines or recommendations on quality? First thought, then local government regs. Then anything in quality systems related to customer service oriented organization.

J

JoeDM

I suggest starting with ISO 9001's 6 required procedures, and work from there.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all,
I am in my first couple of years as a Quality Engineer :) and my wife is in need of a QMS and Health and Safety manual update.
As I work in a busy aerospace company the QMS I deal with is far too extreme for her small business and I am struggling to know where to start to write her decent and robust documents that will help her business be more quality oriented....:frust:

Any help would be much appreciated! :thanks:

I'd start by looking at the areas that directly affect the business in an immediate way - costs. So purchasing and receiving processes can be addressed first (and note that these aren't one of the six required documents that everyone goes on about - the realities of business can't be constrained by ISO). Some questions that can be asked: How often do vendors screw up orders? How often are deliveries late? Does she have a method in place to deal with errors? How often does she inadvertently order the wrong products? How does she decide who to buy from and who to avoid?

On time delivery might be implemented as the ability to maintain the booking schedules for the day. As an example, if she finds that she is continually behind by 10:00 am every day and all the remaining bookings are subsequently pushed out (yeah, a problem that is nicer to deal with than not having any work, I know), this can be measured. Then root cause can be established along with corrective action. Perhaps the root cause may be resource-based (not enough staff, stations, sinks etc), perhaps it's not allowing enough time in the bookings to do the required job, maybe it's something as inocuous as too much chatting. She won't know unless she sets targets and keep metrics. How long does a cut and color take? What about a multi-color job without a cut? Are the times consistent for similar jobs? A cheap kitchen timer at each station and logging the results for a month can really give valuable information. Hard evidence, not estimates.

Customer satisfaction can be measured by writing up a quick online survey, so she can get feedback as to how the salon is performing. Remember, just because people aren't actively complaining doesn't necessarily mean they are happy with the service. For me, as an example, I typically won't complain - I just won't go back. Surveys are a great way to help identify areas for improvement that she may have never realized needed improvement. SurveyMonkey is a simple way of doing this. Does your wife ask clients for email addresses?

It's a start, something to consider. Good on you for this, as principles of ISO can be effectively applied to ANY business.

Last edited:
M

Murphys Law

NOOOOO !!!!! How big is the salon? Is it self owned? How many employees?

Unless the operation is planning on bigger things such a franchise or your wife wants to train others, I wouldn't bother.

Make it too bureaucratic and the staff and customers will leave. For example, there is a hair dresser near me that introduced an online checking system that allows people to jump the queue. It resulted in me stop going there. I was ok with doing walk-in and waiting. Having to find their rinky dinky URL, then book myself in is too much for a hair cut. It has also resulted in them being less efficient as they hold off ready to go customers while waiting for the customer who has booked.

As for some of the comments about "too much chatting", that may in fact be an attribute. My wife used to go to a nail saloon near me and yes, it was cost effective and they were very efficient, but she didn't particularly like it. She thought them very cold and rushed you in and out. I once sat in waiting room and I thought the same thing. Nobody in there seemed to by enjoying it.

She enjoys the chat between her, other clients and staff and she checked out another place nearby. It was opposite experience; High end clients, friendly staff and costs more. Guess which one she went to.

If I am having a haircut, I at least appreciate the effort a stylist will make to interact with me.

A salon is all about service and experience. Good luck in writing a quality manual on that.

I

IndicoltsQA

Thank you, I have no intention of making this a lengthy Bureaucratic and regimented salon. I want her to keep her personal feel that she has with her customers so I have just started to create the Health and Safety manual for obvious things and put a couple of easy to read process mapped diagrams for procedures like 'end of day' records etc. some things I can standardise to make it more efficient but other things I want to keep fresh and specific so that we can be customer focused.
I am using ISO as a guideline to help with recording data and supplier relationships etc but in the main I don't want to change the way they work because its what my wife is recognised for.

I

IndicoltsQA

Thank you all for your kind advice and help it's appreciated!!

T

tamale

Nice idea, here is what I would do.

A customer service policy stating well, the obvious. Its serves everyone well and it standardizes the way her employees interact with clients. Its a good start to innovation in any business.

I would also include a safety manual of sorts. Hairdressers use chemicals and well, you just never know what the new and improved versions of those chemicals will hide. For example over the years there have been many serious health issues with hair spay alone. Carpel tunnel syndrome is a another culprit common to hairdressers that can be controlled with the proper approach.

You may be surprised what a little research on hair salon health risks will reveal.

Just keep it simple and pertinent.

Tamale

Top Bottom