How to write understandable work instructions

S

Sharon_Noble

Is there some kind of tutorial or standard out there that I can give our employees who create work instructions? Some of them seem to think that they are writing process instructions for engineers instead of production associates. I have come across some pretty bad work instructions, especially when auditing the shop floor. I have heard that the work instructions should never be written above a grade 6 reading comprehension level is this accurate? Not that the production employees are illiterate, just that for some, English is not their first language, and all our instruction are in English with pictures for clarifications.
I would appreciate any help on this as I seem to be fighting a losing battle when I write up an NC that a work instruction isn't "Legible" and I get...."Sure its legible I can read it!"
thanks

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Is there some kind of tutorial or standard out there that I can give our employees who create work instructions? Some of them seem to think that they are writing process instructions for engineers instead of production associates. I have come across some pretty bad work instructions, especially when auditing the shop floor. I have heard that the work instructions should never be written above a grade 6 reading comprehension level is this accurate? Not that the production employees are illiterate, just that for some, English is not their first language, and all our instruction are in English with pictures for clarifications.
I would appreciate any help on this as I seem to be fighting a losing battle when I write up an NC that a work instruction isn't "Legible" and I get...."Sure its legible I can read it!"
thanks

"Legible" and "understandable" are two different things. Something that's incomprehensible may be legibly written. As far as writing skills are concerned, the writing of work instructions (and other documentation) is best left in the hands of someone who knows how to do it. Perhaps you have a few people in your company who can take the raw (and poorly-written) material and rewrite it.

T

Tom W

It took me a long time to figure out that I can write the best work instructions, the most articulate, clearly phrased and comprehensive writing and no one might understand it...:bonk:

When writing a work instruction you want to make sure you take your target audience into account. Ask for input and listen to that input. It still needs to be professional and understandable but it can also include flowcharts, diagrams, pictures, and other information that make it simple yet effective.

It's a good idea to start with asking the operators on the floor to create one originally then take that and improve on it; through formating, cleaning up the text and wording, intergrating pictures or flow diagrams where it makes sense. It's a skill to communicate effectively with the spoken word; the same goes with the written word.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice in this thread.
My first advice is to do a search through the forum for, say, "work instruction" or "work instruction template" or some such.
Then look through the post attachment list (the link is up at the top between the lighthouse and lightning bolt)

Personally - I like visual instructions - diagrams, photos, and flow charts.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Another good practice is to have them write a work instruction, give it to an associate not familiar with the area (target audience) and watch them try to decipher what you wrote.

Perfect practice makes perfect... :cool:

S

Sharon_Noble

Jim
I agree that legible and understandable are two different things. My issue is if a production associate cannot read the work instruction because they don't understand the meaning of the words used, or the sentance structure leaves the intent of the instruction unclear, it might as well be covered in coffee stains, ripped, and partially burned.....:lol:
I have asked that the production workers have some input into the creation of work instructions but for some reason our "Pretengineers" who create these instructions feel that "hourly employees" are incapable of this task and it takes someone on "salary" to do this. :bonk:

S

Sharon_Noble

Here is an example of what I found...
1) "Ensure that the terminal is perpendicular to the PC board"
There were no pictures to clarify this statement so I asked 5 employees on the line what the word perpendicular meant. Only 2 out of the 5 knew what it meant. I consider that work instruction inadequate.
How do I get the person creating the instruction to understand their audiance when they refuse to actually talk to them?????:argue:

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Here is an example of what I found...
1) "Ensure that the terminal is perpendicular to the PC board"
There were no pictures to clarify this statement so I asked 5 employees on the line what the word perpendicular meant. Only 2 out of the 5 knew what it meant. I consider that work instruction inadequate.
How do I get the person creating the instruction to understand their audiance when they refuse to actually talk to them?????:argue:

force the issue.

make the author form a team with users of the instruction.
Don't let it be an option.

T

Tom W

You could suggest that the engineer actually go to the line and work it for a bit to gain an understanding....that would be classic!

The author needs to understand the target audience; that's not optional. It will make inefficencies and frustration on the operators part when they do not know what they are reading.

It's typical to write an instruction in a language that the auditor can understand but not neccessarily the operator; thats the quickest way to increase costs and scrap...the author needs to understand the improtance of the message - not just the message itself.

You could read my blog on accountability for the explination that forced-accountability might be needed in this situation.:whip:

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
...Ensure that the terminal is perpendicular to the PC board" There were no pictures to clarify this statement...

There you go, you answered your own question. Toyota standardized work documents are mostly marked up pictures, any words on them are not complete sentences.

Consider also video, intranet instructions and so on.

And way down the journey of quality, you get to poka yokes, you can only plug in an electrical cord one way (by design), no instruction is necessary.

Why not give your assemblers a digital camera and then get out of their way. Let the experts check that it is correct, other than that let them document it as they want to, this will help no end with ownership and compliance. I hate it when someone tries to tell me how to do my job, and I am proud of my documents, assemblers feel the same.

Good luck!

Top Bottom