Managing and Reporting Audits with an Excel .xls spreadsheet

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I've reviewed software for managing audits and found them wanting. This business of reporting "Number of audits performed" seems worthless to me--where's the data showing how the system is actually performing?

When Crusader provided us with a spreadsheet for objectively reporting audit results, I jumped right on it because I've been wishing for a better tool for recordig results than percent pass/fail based on counts of questions asked. I figure it's better to monitor against elements covered, believing it would better reflect systemic conformance.

I've attached the tool that Crusader invited me to alter, and a little paper describing its use.

Attachments

• Audit management workbook.xls
    487 KB · Views: 3,866
  • Paper-Managing and reporting audits with Excel.doc
    265 KB · Views: 2,447

Jen Kirley

Leader
Admin
Re: Managing and Reporting Audits with Excel .xls

It took a few days. It was worth the time invested, though I could have saved myself some time if I had moved the banks of accruing weighted scores earlier. I fooled around with formulas for awhile before giving up the fight and separating out those lines. Keeping them was important to me though, so I could compare the year-to-date performance in all the audits.

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource

I've reviewed software for managing audits and found them wanting. This business of reporting "Number of audits performed" seems worthless to me--where's the data showing how the system is actually performing?

When Crusader provided us with a spreadsheet for objectively reporting audit results, I jumped right on it because I've been wishing for a better tool for recordig results than percent pass/fail based on counts of questions asked. I figure it's better to monitor against elements covered, believing it would better reflect systemic conformance.

I've attached the tool that Crusader invited me to alter, and a little paper describing its use.

Have you made any more changes? Modifications, etc?

Jen Kirley

Leader
Admin

This version allows us to enter the number of times an element has been audited versus only counting each element once.

Reporting is by dicrepancy only, for those of whom "No news is good news" is the preferred reporting method.

There are spreadsheets for 2007 and 2008. If you want to use the spreadsheet tool past that point, two methods work:

1. Copy and paste the "Original" into a new workbook. Change the names on the tabs, then save the new workbook with a new name. Caution!!! In the new worksheets, the graphs' source data fields must be updated to draw from the proper workbook. This has already been done in this version's 2008 workbook.

2. Save the entire spreadsheet under a new name, then change the workbook tabs' titles. This might be the simplest (therefore best) approach. I haven't tried it.

Attachments

• Audit mgmnt II.xls
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,351
Last edited:
S

stephen pearce - 2008

Wow :thanx:

Thank you for your contribution here it will make life easier for me. :)

F

Frank T.

Much Thanks to Jennifer and Crusader......:applause:

antoine.dias

Quite Involved in Discussions

I had missed that last one a couple of months ago.

Thanks Jennifer and best regards,

Antoine

Jen Kirley

Leader
Admin

You're all welcome. I find it a rare privilege to offer something so useful. I've been using it in my position and am finding it very satisfying.

For many long years there has been no such place to share these things with a community, and I have felt--on the fringe--for a very long time. That's no fault to anyone but myself, as I don't regularly go to my local ASQ chapter meetings, and simple geography.

As for the first part, ASQ chapters would do well to develop the community that this forum has brought to all of us globally. But, when there is one why would a person want dozens? So I decided the matter is one of geography and I'm just happy to be able to be a part of something larger than my day-to-day matters.

Thanks goes also to my boss, who has agreed for me to share these things although they are worked on with company time (He's aware I got the earlier version from the Cove anyway, seems fair to give back to the community) as long as I remove any intimate reference to our business.

I hope to continue to contribute cool stuff, though it will probably slow down somewhat. Still, watch closely and you will see the progress a certain QA department is making in its reformation from a police department to a service environment.

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
Thanks Jennifer for taking my scoring system and making it 100x better! :bigwave: I think everyone will benefit from it now.

Top Bottom