Impressions of the CQA test and new BoK (Body of Knowledge)

lindal

Involved In Discussions
Greetings!

Although I realize that ASQ certification is not a high priority for a lot of the people in the forum, and its value-add is questionable, I recertified for my CQA earlier this month.
I'm wondering if anyone else in the Cove took the test, and if so what their impressions of the revised body of knowledge was. I personally thought it was a much better test. The test questions didn't seem as difficult, and seemed to be better designed to assess capability as an auditor.
Essentially, the test seemed reasonably easy for someone who regularly performs audits, but otherwise would probably be quite difficult.
I also appreciated the addition of the audit scenarios and working papers.

Of course, I am not encouraging anyone to discuss actual questions on the test, or answers (unethical).

I'm just interested in other quality professionals' impression. :gossip:

-LL

G

Graeme

off topic!

Linda,

:topic:
You re-certified by taking the exam???
EEK!!! :eek:
I didn't think anyone did that after taking the exam the first time ...

(As for any other on-topic discussion I can't help as CQA is not one of my current certifications.)

Graeme
ASQ Sr. Member; CQE, CCT, CQT

R

Rob Nix

I believe that the CQA, like the CQE and CRE I have, requires something like 18 R.U.s (Recertification Units), where 10.8 RUs are gained from employment in the field and the remainder through education and such. You should have received a recertification journal that explained all of that.

Like Graeme suggests, most of us recertify every 3 years by sending in the forms, with evidence of continuous use and education in the field (and of course, paying the fee). We generally DO NOT take the test again.

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Linda LaVine said:
Greetings!

Although I realize that ASQ certification is not a high priority for a lot of the people in the forum, and its value-add is questionable,

ASQ Certification divsion will be willing hear their ideas about how to make these certifications more value added.

Linda LaVine said:
I recertified for my CQA earlier this month.

Eventhough, I know that this is one of the option for recertification, this is the first time I heard someone opted this way.

Linda LaVine said:
I'm wondering if anyone else in the Cove took the test, and if so what their impressions of the revised body of knowledge was. I personally thought it was a much better test. The test questions didn't seem as difficult, and seemed to be better designed to assess capability as an auditor.
Essentially, the test seemed reasonably easy for someone who regularly performs audits, but otherwise would probably be quite difficult.
I also appreciated the addition of the audit scenarios and working papers.

I was told that this revised BOK is more challenging than the previous one. Good to know the feedback from someone who has written both versions. There are some members in this forum who are interested to write CQA. I hope your feedback encourages them to take this exam.

Linda LaVine said:
Of course, I am not encouraging anyone to discuss actual questions on the test, or answers (unethical).
I'm just interested in other quality professionals' impression. :gossip:
-LL

Exactly. This is the most important point.

Since you took a recertification and also has auditing experience, I guess you did not need lots of preparation time.

Since yesterday the results are appearing Online.After you member login, click certification Tab.You will see the result.Good Luck.

Govind.

W

WALLACE

I'm considering the CQA designation.
Does anybody have study materials they can share at the Cove?
Wallace.

lindal

Involved In Discussions
It's nice to know I'm unique, even if it is in a really dumb way.

No, I didn't need a lot of time to prepare, but I would much rather have avoided the stress and the possibility of failure by documenting my work and continuing education. That sounds much more pleasant

When I last checked the ASQ website, the login screen was unavailable, but I'm curious to see how I did.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I lost my recertification packet in the transition from a previous employer to my current employer. I haven't had a lot of quality professionals to interact with at this company, so I haven't had anyone to ask. I wonder why my boss didn't mention it when I said I need to take the test to recertify? He's a CQE.

As far as study materials go, there are a lot of them out there. Anything that would be shared on this site would have to be put there by the person who created the materials. To see a list of the reference materials that cover a lot of the BoK, go to the ASQ website click on certification and choose CQA. (paraphrased from the Reference Materials section of the CQA BoK).

Once again, thanks for the info.
LL

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
When you get to the ASQ home page: www.asq.org, on the left hand top corner you will notice 3 buttons, Join, renew and Member log in.

Click member login, type in your log in and password. After logging in, click the "Certification Tab". You will see your results. If you passed the exam,most likely you will get the Certificate package coming Monday.

This package will include the "re-certification" details booklet.This is why Iam surprised how you were not aware this recertification method through submitting the RUs.If you had received your previous CQA certificate, you will have the recertification booklet as well.
For an active Quality professional, it is not difficult to accumulate the required RUs.

Keep in touch with your ASQ section "Certification Chair" for the future needs. Feel free to PM me any specific questions on Certification.

Govind.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Graeme said:
Linda,

:topic:
You re-certified by taking the exam???
EEK!!! :eek:
I didn't think anyone did that after taking the exam the first time ...

(As for any other on-topic discussion I can't help as CQA is not one of my current certifications.)

Graeme
ASQ Sr. Member; CQE, CCT, CQT

This was funny. :tg:

I have two certifications to maintain, as CQT and CMI don't expire...right? In case collecting the number of credits necessary is a problem (and with the economic conditions over the past few years I have found it a problem) one can prioritize.

I have been taking the CQA to recertify because I find the exam easy.

CQE is another matter. I want to avoid retaking that one, so I collect my points to use in it if I don't have enough for both. Last year I used ASQ's recert program for CQE, and I appreciated that.

For study materials I have used The Quality Audit Handbook (ASQ Press) and Pyzdek's Complete Guide to the CQA. I found the Handbook contained nearly everything I needed, but experience was very helpful.

One does what one must!

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Jennifer Kirley said:
I have been taking the CQA to recertify because I find the exam easy.
CQE is another matter. I want to avoid retaking that one, so I collect my points to use in it if I don't have enough for both. Last year I used ASQ's recert program for CQE, and I appreciated that. !

Jennifer,
You mentioned that you were saving the RUs for CQE and not enough for CQA.
RU requirement need not be multiplied with the number of certification. i.e.
You can synchronize your certifications so that you will require the same 18RU for all certifications together.
Reference:http://www.asq.org/cert/faq/recert/09.html

Regards,
Govind.

Top Bottom