CE of light bulb

J

JopkinHos

Hi,
I bought some led light bulbs online through a well known Chinese online shopping company. These light bulbs were specifically advertised as having the CE and RoHS certification in their web sight. I got the lamps by mail, but some of them have no specification printed on them at all, and some have only CE and RoHS printed (no watts, voltage, etc..) on them. It is important to me to have CE certification in order to have peace of mind that they are safe.

1. Does a light bulb with no specification printed on it can be approved as CE ?*
2. Can a light bulb with CE and RoHS printed on it, but without wattage and voltage printed on it be approved as CE ?

Regards,
D

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi,
I bought some led light bulbs online through a well known Chinese online shopping company. These light bulbs were specifically advertised as having the CE and RoHS certification in their web sight. I got the lamps by mail, but some of them have no specification printed on them at all, and some have only CE and RoHS printed (no watts, voltage, etc..) on them. It is important to me to have CE certification in order to have peace of mind that they are safe.

1. Does a light bulb with no specification printed on it can be approved as CE ?*
2. Can a light bulb with CE and RoHS printed on it, but without wattage and voltage printed on it be approved as CE ?

Regards,
D

D,

I doubt it.

This report from the IET Forums tells us what the electricians think:

http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/textthread.cfm?catid=205&threadid=46680&filtmsgid=394549

You may need to beef up your supplier selection criteria or buy cheap.

Personally, I buy cheap, test and use or return LED bulbs.

John

CharlieUK

Quite Involved in Discussions
Some information on CE marking of lightbulbs available at http://www.thelia.org.uk/lighting-guides/lamp-guide/legislation/

>It is important to me to have CE certification in order to have peace of mind that they are safe.
Unfortunately, the CE mark in itself doesn't actually do that - if SHOULD, but then anyone can print 2 letters.

Main issue you are likely to get from cheap LEDs is high levels of electromagnetic interference, but if you don't experience it, you should be fine.
Regarding safety - remove power before touching them.

Generally I try an avoid very cheap mains powered items, but when I bought some cheap LED bicycle lights from Chinese supplier, which were CE marked, I opened the PSU up, visually inspected it and then tested it before I used it.

Charlie

Top Bottom