What is really six sigma? Is a culture? A way to solve problems?

J

jackylpt

Hi there,

I knew six sigma is hot in the world, especially in american company.

But I have a question is what is really six sigma? Is a culture? a way that solve problem , just some change of quality control or something? Because I have discussed with some black blets about it? But nobody can get a clear answer.

Does anybody can help me? thanks :thanx:

Michael

D

D.Scott

Six sigma itself refers to the capability of your process. It is a measurement of variation in your process calculated from the process average to the closer of the upper or lower engineering specification. A six sigma process would have a Cpk of 2.0 which indicates a low number of parts outside the specifications (bad parts).

Six Sigma (note the capital letters) has also become a quality "culture". It incorporates many of the old or standard quality tools but in such a way as to work within a disciplined system. It is certainly a tool in problem solving but it isn't a magical system that works without any help.

Dave

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Six sigma is TQM repackaged and sold to top management. Since there are projects to acheive different levels of belts...and since it does not require alot of top management attention, it sold itself.

jackylpt said:
Hi there,

I knew six sigma is hot in the world, especially in american company.

But I have a question is what is really six sigma? Is a culture? a way that solve problem , just some change of quality control or something? Because I have discussed with some black blets about it? But nobody can get a clear answer.

Does anybody can help me? thanks :thanx:

Michael

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Statistical Steven said:
Six sigma is TQM repackaged and sold to top management. Since there are projects to acheive different levels of belts...and since it does not require alot of top management attention, it sold itself.

AH, another SS cynic. Wonderful!

Six Sigma has certainly become the next "fad" of the quality world. Because the focus is on saving $$, management likes it, and it may stick around longer than anticipated. For a fun read on this topic, and more, try James Lamprecht's book, Quality and Power in the Supply Chain (what industry does for the sake of quality).

For those interested in a simple, yet effective intro book, try Six Sigma for Managers by Greg Brue.

If you just want to look over a simple powerpoint on six sigma, try this one. I use this as an introduction to it in a college class.

Attachments

• Six Sigma lecture.ppt
    214.5 KB · Views: 1,872

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Not trying to be a cynic, but when a statistician with 20 yrs experience and a CQE cannot get a job as a six sigma black belt you know that it is no longer about quality improvement, but rather about creating hype.

qualitygoddess said:
AH, another SS cynic. Wonderful!

Six Sigma has certainly become the next "fad" of the quality world. Because the focus is on saving $$, management likes it, and it may stick around longer than anticipated. For a fun read on this topic, and more, try James Lamprecht's book, Quality and Power in the Supply Chain (what industry does for the sake of quality).

For those interested in a simple, yet effective intro book, try Six Sigma for Managers by Greg Brue.

If you just want to look over a simple powerpoint on six sigma, try this one. I use this as an introduction to it in a college class.

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
qualitygoddess said:

As I reviewed your slides had I not seen SS, I would have assumed you were discussing the philosophy of Deming and Crosby. DMAIC is just PDCA cycle of Deming, and of course the cost of quality is a Crosby"ism". Maybe I am bitter, but my belief is that SS is nothing new.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Statistical Steven said:
As I reviewed your slides had I not seen SS, I would have assumed you were discussing the philosophy of Deming and Crosby. DMAIC is just PDCA cycle of Deming, and of course the cost of quality is a Crosby"ism". Maybe I am bitter, but my belief is that SS is nothing new.
I agree wholeheartedly, except that the slide has it right--it's the cost of poor quality, not "cost of quality." There's a significant difference, especially with regard to Crosby, who famously said, "Quality is Free."

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Statistical Steven said:

Stat Steve (an SS himself!):

:bigwave: Absolutely, I'm in agreement with all that you say. You would have to see the lecture 1 and 2 to see the overview of Deming, Crosby, Juran, Feigenbaum, Box, and others. I even tell my students that SS uses most (perhaps 99.999973%) of stuff we quality types already know.

Interestingly, a pal who has had his CQE for 10 years just studied a bit and took the SSBB cert exam and passed. His reasoning -- it opens a few more doors in the job search arena. He has had more "hits" on his resume since that time. Sad, but true.

Q

Qaware

Hello everyone

I agree with all of whats said above. Six Sigma is certainly nothing new. But the overall objective with quality improvement is to have a system that is a part of the everyday work. A six sigma implementation, with all the training is a very expensive thing. Therefore management has a tendency to ask for results and that is, in my opinion the most important factor when it comes to getting things done. About the selection of Black Belts, I believe that management is looking for people who are potential future leaders, and not for people who are experienced in statistics. This might not be as bad as it sounds. Suppose the Black Belts do become leaders, then they are more likely to focus on quality improvement and that is a good thing.

I really love this site, keep on working everyone! :applause:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Qaware said:
I believe that management is looking for people who are potential future leaders, and not for people who are experienced in statistics.
If I were a statistician, I think I might be offended by the suggestion that the two are mutually exclusive:D .

Top Bottom