US Success in Designing & Manufacturing World-Class Goods

S

sotiris

US success in designing&manufacturing world-class goods

How
-> one can interprete US success in designing&manufacturing world-class goods, especially in the
-> nineties (as I understand) keeping in mind Demings'
-> comments(in his last 2 books) about incompetent US
-> managers etc., etc.,?

S

Sam

Deming used a lot of strong wording in his books and seminars; "incompetant managers" was one of them.

Juran, on the other hand, preferred to express his opinion by stating that 85% of what goes wrong can be attributed to management. I prefer the statement made by Juran.

And these statements do not only apply to US managers; they apply to managers, period

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I agree, Sam. I think more of the issue with US manufacturing is that the tenor has changed due to competition and the advancement of knowledge in manufacturing systems.

As an aside, one of the reasons ISO is successful in many companies it that it forces the company to analyze and act on data.

Deming was a bit contemptuous of managers whilst Juran gave them a bit more credit.

As a last comment, many companies in the US are moving (and have been for some time) manufacturing facilities to other countries. The reason is not pay rates and operating costs and taxes alone. If I move my manufacturing to Mexico and get an inferior product the move doesn't help me. The reality is, if the systems are set up properly (assuming proper equipment, etc.) any people in any country can make 'quality' products.

-> And these statements do not only apply to US managers;
-> they apply to managers, period.

I fully agree.

Top Bottom